HybridZ

finally some progress!

poortecher

So, after a long, long intermission due to financial crap, I've finally made some progress. I finished up replacing the floorpans with 18 ga sheet and patched the rust in the A-pillar. I also made a set of pete paraska-esque subframe connectors out of 2x3 0.090 wall tubing.

Coming up are a set of MMS coilovers, vented 4x4 front disc and 240sx rear disc, and getting my hands on an R-200. Then I can save for my transmission and buy the JTR engine mounts and make a trans crossmember.

P.S. Are the dogleg panels a real pain to replace and get right? Both of mine are rusted, and I am debating whether to replace them myself so I can rustproof behind them. I'm just worried about it coming out looking like a hack job.

Anyway, onto the pics...

Zpics030.jpg

Zpics097.jpg

Zpics098.jpg

Zpics110.jpg

Zpics111.jpg

Zpics113.jpg

Zpics087.jpg

Zpics121.jpg

Zpics126.jpg

nice progress! i know what you mean about financial crap... lol im just waiting for a spare 200 bucks to get my tranny fixed.. *UGH* stupid money issues.. its all part of it though man..

***EDIT*** is your car on your freakin back balcony?? that pic looks crazy! lol

DatZun- no, it's on the RV parking on the side of my house. My firebird lives in the garage, so the Z gets stuck outside for now.

Dragonfly- when you replaced your doglegs, did you use a hole punching tool and re-make the factory spot welds, or did you just weld along the flange, such as at the pinch weld or in the wheel well

Eric

I did mine the hard way... I took a piece of flat steel cut it to shape, spent hours forming it then I held it in place with magnets in order to put a few spot welds on it. After that I brazed it into place in a buttweld fashion so there is no acual overlap of the piece I made and the clean steel of the original body. It is difficult to do but if you work it out ahead of time you can "hammer weld" part of the job which means less grinding and blending after the part is fully welded/brazed in place.

Dragonfly