HybridZ

e-brake fix or upgrades???

so does anyone have any upgrades for their ebrake??? seems mine is adjusted as tight as it will go, but it :

a. wont lock wheels at speed (lets say 30mph)

b. takes a lot of clicks to "engage"

c. doesnt engage fully- i.e. i can be on a steep hill, have it maxed out, and it barely holds the car....

does the cable wear out? theres no replacement anywhere for cheap...i was thinking about getting a solid steel cable and replacing it...but i havent figured out how i would do that yet...

hmmmmmmmm

Guest TeamNissan

You know my ebrake cable was broke when i got the car and for some reason the guy i bought the 240sx rear calipers from gave me the ebrake cables too so I'm just going to make them work some how.

Point is its just a cable connected at both ends... So long as you keep that intact and it actually engages the calipers you can basically do w/e you like.

You could try cutting like 1 inch off your cable at a end and just clamping another end on it, pretty simple. I forget what they are called but they have them in the hardware section at home depot. 45 cents maybe?

You can also take a look at your drums but it def sounds like a travel problem to me. Hope that helps, good luck.

IIRCC there is a tensioner thing on the ebrake cable in the tranny tunnel that you can tighten. But after many years, I'm sure that the cable has stretched enough to the point where even that won't help. I need to check to see if I need to replace mine also.

john..ive done everything...my rear brakes lock up fine (gravel road check)

the shoes are as close as they can be to the drums...and my adjustment is all the way....

i guess these cables just wear out after 30 years of service???

teamnissan...GREAT point!!!! im going to do just that...put my adjustment back in the middle, and cut the cable!!! thanks!

i guess these cables just wear out after 30 years of service???

The cable will stretch over time, but the adjustment between the handbrake rod and the cable bridge should take up any whatever strech has occurred. Maybe take the whole mess a part, clean it, and put it back together (pretty easy for me to say).

• 1 month later...

I got the same issue with my ebrake ill try and cut the wire or adjust the rod even further . The big problem is that the adjusting rod is behind exhaust and drive shaft and the part where the cable is going to each side i just right over the diff. so its a pain to work in that area .