HybridZ

brakes not bleeding

i have a '73 240z and i put toyota calipers on the front along with stainless brake lines from MSA

the problem is i can't get any fluid to come out of the bleeder...i can't even get air to come out

can the stock master cylinder not provide enough push to get the fluid out through the bleeder in these new calipers?

any insight at all is appreciated

thx

Guest greimann

You might need to bleed the master cylinder first. There should be little bleeder fittings on the side (at least they are on my ZX).

Guest Anonymous

Check all your connections, esp where the line connects to the caliper. Are the little copper washers on there? If not air will get in and you'll never get any fluid out.

actually...that was the first problem i had when putting the brake lines on the toyota calipers...the brake line wasn't sealing to the caliper...brake fluid kept leaking out when i'd stroke the pedal

i had to file down the caliper a little where the washer seals against it and then get new washers to put it back together with

all the copper washers are on there now though and everything is tightened well

i know brake fluid is getting into the caliper because when i pump the brake pedal, the pistons in the caliper move a little

i just can't get anything to come out of the bleeder frown.gif

any other thoughts?

the bleeder screws are on the top of the calipers...and the master cylinder bled fine...i'm not quite sure what u mean by pressure though...pressure where?...there is some pressure in the brake pedal but no where near enough to stop the car...and the pedal pressure could just be because i bled the back brakes first (they worked fine)

Guest Anonymous

I meant pressure at the master cylinder, does it squirt when you open the bleeder valve? Bleed it with a small tube attached to the bleeder valve and the other end in a bottle with a little brake fluid in the bottom to cover the tube. pump the pedal several times, be careful not let the master cylinder get low, then do the same with the right caliper first, then do the left.If all else fails undo a line from a caliper and see if you get fluid from the open line. Are the tyota calipers new, rebuilt or what?

Maybe... when you were filing(sp?) that metal away, some of it got inside the caliper and is now blocking the bleeder. Just throwing some ideas out here for you. Did you take the bleeder out completley and see what happens? It really sounds like you are just pushing air through the lines and no fluid yet. Just out of curiosity, could you tell us the process that you use to bleed the brakes?

!M!

Many times on salvage parts the small holes in the bleed screw will become corroded over to the point that they get plugged up solid (damn brake fluid loves water). remove them, poke a safety pin or something similar into it, blow it out with air, and you should be fine.

hey guys...thx for the help so far hail.gif

this stupid thing is still giving me problems though

i think what i'm going to do is take the caliper off and see if i can shoot some air through it with my compressor...to make sure there's a passage through the caliper

if no air comes out the bleeder, then i guess i'll just go to napa and get another one

thx again for the ideas though smile.gif