HybridZ

Drove a Carrera

cygnusx1

Yesterday a friend of mine stopped by with his silver/black P car. 2007 Cabriot, 6-speed, non-S. He let me take it out for lunch on a nice little cruise. I really like the torque of the motor and the sound is just beautiful. It was nice cruising around with the top down too. The handling is pretty precise but not as crisp as I would have thought. The throttle response is nice for rev matching and it pulls pretty hard from low RPMs but it didn't have that g-force you feel in your face. It's rated at 325hp (flywheel) 275 ft-lbs, and weighs about 3300 pounds. Nice car that is docile enough to be a daily driver and enough performance to keep you moderately thrilled. I may be spoiled by the WRX and the Z, both of which could stay with it or beat it with a trunk/hatch full of cash. One thing that was a bit odd was that my neighbor called. They NEVER call. They asked if we bought a Porsche because they saw it in the driveway. Fooking Hillarious isn't it. LOL. Sometimes, it's all about image isn't it?

My friend once drove me around in his 996 Carrera4, and then gave me the keys to take it for a while. I agree that it would make a great daily driver, but nothing more than that - it's comfortable, looks good, handles great (I loved the steering feedback), but isn't as exciting as the earlier models. My neighbour, a Porsche and Subaru freak, has a 964 Carrera with Bilstein shocks and a loud exhaust - boy, talk about the speed sensation in that one! After driving the 996, it felt like changing a '86 Caddy Eldorado into a racecar... I'd take an aircooled Porsche over the later models anytime. They are cheaper, they look better, and they feel much better in driving terms. Now I understand what Walter Roehrl meant when he said that even P-cars are losing the "driving feedback" (don't know if it's the right term) with every next model.