HybridZ

Water line off thermostat housing...do I need it?

Mycarispurty

I put a new water inlet housing on my 280Z today, the kind that has the threaded in fitting for the heater line that runs down the side of the block. On the old one, there was a line running off it to the thermostat housing. I'm blocking off that extra area until I use it as a location to thread in a water temp gauge probe, and I'm curious if I need to re-route that water line off the thermostat housing, or if I can just block it off with no ill effects?

To be honest I have not dropped the motor back into my car. I did the modification after doing a bit of research here on Hybridz regarding routing the coolant line for the turbo.

I live in southern California, so I am not worried about cold starts. I have also ditched the AAR as I am going with a modified build (Wolf EMS, T03/04, N42 non-egr intake, etc.). Finally, since I have basically rerouted the bypass line to pass through my turbo instead of my TB, I solved the issue that mobythevan talked about in the thread referenced by naviathan.

I know that the Subaru Impreza's have a similar coolant line running to their TB and one of the common mods is remove it.

I'm not running any coolant lines to my throttle body (I've got a KA throttle body) and I haven't had any ill effects that I've been able to see. I'm in Florida though, so it never really gets all that hot, plus I'm running a megasquirt, so that may come in to play also.