HybridZ

Help!!!! my 280Z wont start

Guest 2ZorNOT2Z

Guest 2ZorNOT2Z

Ok I have a problem. I have a 1975 280Z and it was running great and I got caught in the rain and hit a puddle and then it died as if I was running out of fuel or the Alt. went out with a dead Batt. I check the injectors and got 12V at both terminals. Cleaned all the connectors. when I start it wont crank I get spark and I smell fuel at the exhaust. WTF.

This thing is driving me mad. I know the new stuff you just hook up to a reader and it tells you were its at. What was nissian thinking. Some one Help.:icon2::hs:

Guest 2ZorNOT2Z

Yeah the engine is turning great, I cleaned out the distributor. It never got any water in it. I think it might be my ECU mabey it shorted out but no water got on it and the wire harness is sealed. So......

check the TPS contacts for water.. in fact, check over all the FI sensors and plugs, unplug them all, and blow the water that you didn't realize was in them out. chances are that alone will do your trick; I have been there and done that on my 75 many times. If that doesnt help, go to http://www.atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/EFI&fuel.htm that link and download the "EFI Bible" and read it, use it to walk yourself through a systematic test of the components.

Guest 2ZorNOT2Z
check the TPS contacts for water.. in fact, check over all the FI sensors and plugs, unplug them all, and blow the water that you didn't realize was in them out. chances are that alone will do your trick; I have been there and done that on my 75 many times. If that doesnt help, go to http://www.atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/EFI&fuel.htm that link and download the "EFI Bible" and read it, use it to walk yourself through a systematic test of the components.

Hey thanks I figured it out after looking at all the hard stuff first. I guess when you think what the cause was its not allways the case ( ie.water)

Its seems that when I hit the puddle it caused the timing chain to jump.

So it jumped one tooth. What I did was moved the plug wires one place one on the distributor cap and the F*$ker fired right up. Why is it allways the simple shjt! Well thanks for the help. who would of thought that it would of been the timing chain I just got lucky with a hit or miss.

uhm... if the timing chain jumped a tooth, then changing the spark plug wires would NOT fix it... the timing chain controls valve timing, and I may be wrong but I thought that the distributor was driven directly off the crankshaft?

Something more is up in the air here. I don't REALLY know enough to tell you what, but I can tell that things aren't adding up right in this equation...

• 3 months later...