HybridZ

90's Sports cars vs. current sedans

rudypoochris

I am wondering, from people who own these types of cars and have more age on them than I do, how a typical 90's sports car would stack up against a modern performance sedan. Take a Lexus GS350, Infiniti G35, or a BMW 5 series for example vs a Z32 Turbo, C4 or C5 Corvette, or a Supra. Have sedans really gotten to the level of last decades sports cars, or are they still behind. Just wondering peoples opinions on this one. Concerning stuff like handling, acceleration, etc. Or is this just way too general of a question?

My daily driver is an '05 G35 Sedan, but I have only driven one of the cars on your list (coworker's C5 Vette) and don't have any experience with 90's sports cars. There is really no comparison between the G35 Sedan and the C5 Vette - the Vette is more raw power and stiff ride whereas the G35 is more smooth and slightly more plush. Obviously, this is the idiom that each car is built with.

As per true 90's vehicles (his Vette is an '04), when looking at only numbers most of the sports sedans today are pushing the same kind of numbers as the sports cars then.

If it helps any, the G35 supplies more than enough performance to get one into (or out of) trouble. In my opinion, the G35 has all the performance you really need for a street car and I love mine dearly.

I have had an '07 G35x for about a month and i think it is amazing. I had to drive out of town today with my buddy and pick up some firecrackers for this weekend. We were on a stretch of road w/ no traffic. I went from a rolling 80 to 120 in just a few seconds. The funny thing is I remember my old '84 Supra (not 90s I know) I had it up to 120 a couple of times and it scared the S**t out of me. The G35 was so smooth and stable feeling at that speed I didn't even feel uncomfortable. Also when tromping on it in a turn with the AWD Ive never driven a car that can accelerate so quickly and still feel in control.

Yep. I was driving my parents GS350 today and I was thinking man this feels awesome. I was wondering how it really stacks up bottom line. There is 3700lbs swinging around even though it kicks out over 300hp. I was very disappointed with the automatic transmission lag though, seems like auto is really the only option on the larger sedans now adays unless it is a BMW.

The mileage is pretty bad imho. I think these modern ultra sensitive gas pedals have me yanking the car a bit just in normal driving. Maybe I am not used to it, but I notice other people doing it too in their own automatic sedans.