HybridZ

variable valve timing

GrayZee

I believe its simply an on/off switch. There's an actuator that pushes a "button" on the VTC assembly which allows oil pressure to build up and causes the timing change. Once off, oil flows through and timing changes back. Very simple.

• Administrators
  • 3 months later...

I was looking at this today on a z32 we are finishing up at the shop.

It's almost the same concept as V-tec. Except the cams run with it engaged using control oil pressure until like 5200 rpm to 6100 rpm? I may be off a few rpms but thats close.

They must of come up with this to get rid of a dead spot during testing, I don't understand why they wouldn't grind them the opposite and have them kick on for a 1000 rpms instead of off... :hs:

And I don't know why they wouldn't use the same concept on the exhaust cams instead of the intake cams so they could get some more exhaust flow at lower end. That'd probably be more beneficial.

Guest Chrispy

I wouldn't really compare it to VTEC as that uses a different cam profile for the high rev range.

I didn't think that it turned off until the revs reached 5200 again? I believe that they adjusted the intake to improve low end torque. Either way you woul achieve a little more overlap. Having the VVT on the exhaust could have stuffed up the crank angle sensor too. I'm sure nissan had a reason for doing it, just like AIV's :hs: