HybridZ

3.1 cost

Jojoz

Tell me about my case after reading all of that. x_X 17 year old with a 72' 240z and a 280zxt motor molested with a 2003 Dodge Cummins turbo running 12psi. Now that I have had my fair share of peeling my remains away from the seats I'd like to bring the car back to a fancy classic approach, which would include the stroker idea with tripple webbers. Bad part: I will miss peeling myself off the seats from the motor I have now. My dad and I have a shop and its all self sustained so we deffinitely have the tools and Dad has been building motors well before I was born plus had me doing tinker work when rebuilding his race car motors starting at... I don't know age 3 or something. Problem though is that he does British cars, old ones, we stay away from electronics. We're getting me back into the racing scene with a BMW 2002 and so its new grounds with German engineering and now the Z is Japanese engineering for us but when it comes down to the motors its all good for us.

Cutting to the point. I have a spare l24 motor thats looking rather lonesome in the corner of the garage. I want to make power that will wow me. I don't know how much I'm making with this rape attack under the hood but I like it, except for the electronics. I got myself in way too deep when it comes to turbo equipment and quite frankly I have no idea what I'm doing so for the sake of keeping my daily driver and my wallet I try to keep it on the down low. Is it better to go with an l28 or l24 when stroking. L28 logically seems closer plus it makes a little more hp right off the bat but is this the case when stroking? I have the turbocharger, intercooler, MS v3 and stock 280 engine management to sell for a rebuild budget plus Christmas money and lets just say I get spoiled rotten this year with $1000 from that. Knowing that I have an l24 ready to hit up but aware of the fact that partss for that motor and parts for a l28 are like half'd in some cases I want to lean towards the l28 and just disguise it with the l24 cam cover. Or maybe there is a slight chance I can keep this 280zxt motor and just go from there? I'll need a different cam anyways and after that I can't think of anything that made the zxt different from a normal l28. Basically everything in that motor that was made for the usage of a turbo would be changed out correct?

My main problem is, the starting money is Christmas money and whatever I can scrounge from a Tom Thumb job... I can't exactly sell the turbo equipment right now because then I won't have a car unless if I make some tight plan with my mom to use hers for... however long this takes. All I want is some decent power, enjoyable ride (turbo is fun but when you get 7mpg because your teenage instincts say floor it down every road and wet yourself it gets old after a while), and an engine bay that if something went wrong I can actually sit down and figure it out rather than trying to learn electronic stuff. When I informed my dad about me wanting to go to carbs and drop the turbo he was happy but then he lost his comfort when I said I want some respectable power too. He asks why, why do you keep wanting to molest a 240z, the collector of all z's. My answer, it already has the body kit, I have wider wheels for it, its far from being collector rather than classic. I have the spare l24 motor, the l28zxt motor right now, and then nice fuel pumps and everything that feeds the turbo its love juice. I can reuse alot of stuff yes? All in all I think it will be a nice change. Kids at school will boo me for stepping down a notch but like I said I have no idea what I'm doing with this electronics stuff, I'd prefer to have a clean engine bay free of wires, have a nice time riding around still styling picking up the girls, and most of all learn from actually working with the motor. Once I get into/out of college I doubt Dad will be my man for club racing, I have to learn how to do things on my own and I noticed myself getting more independent after I bought the Z. Its kind of funny how when I was little Dad had the 2 car garage all organized, one side for the race car and the other with his collection of tools and motors being rebuilt, then he moved out and now I'm starting to do the same thing. The garage has car parts along the shelves, its all starting to look like it use to be. Even the racing, joining the same club Dad was in except he kinda went backwards from Spitfires to go-karts but had me go the typical route. :P Anyways thats my situation, sorry about my dysfunction of being way to wordy when I type.

Have some pictures while you're at it to perhaps get an idea of what he have to work with, I really think a rebuild with a little stroker spunk won't be that hard and hopefully not to nasty on the pockets. Budget, I'll say I'll start to tear up up $4000-$5000. Oh and I'm new here so give me a nice warm new guy welcome. XD

joshcar4cm1.jpg

hpim0855cm7.jpg

hpim0852db0.jpg

jaguaroi4.jpg

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic