HybridZ

Possible ignition problem?

CamH

I recently bought a '73 240Z with a Crane Cams XR700 ignition. Yesterday, the car suddenly died at a light. An older gentleman helped me push it off the road and we decided to take a look at what could have went wrong. We discovered that I had spark coming in to the distributor, but nothing coming out.

I took the cap off and looked at everything. The cap is in good shape (no lines), same goes for the pick up and rotor. So I put it back together and left the car there for the night. I came back this morning, and the car fired right up, but started to cut out when revving to a certain level (not sure how high - tach doesn't work, another problem for another day...), and when the choke is not pulled back, the car can't idle, it just dies, then won't restart until the car has a chance to cool down. Also I noticed today that it has been smoking bad out the exhaust on start, which it has not done before.

Thanks!

Cam

The first thing that popped in my mind was the little carbon nipple that goes in the top of the distributor, contacts the top of the rotor. Is it still there?

Yes, it is still there and in fairly good condition.

OK, so I have been screwing with the car for a while now. The car quit wanting to turn over, so I figured it was really really flooded. I pulled the spark plugs out and it turned over again, got a little bit of gas out, and cleaned the gas off the spark plugs. Put the spark plugs back in, and it doesn't want to turn over again. So now the car is just sitting there again, I will screw with it more tomorrow afternoon.

what carbs does it have on it? flat tops or rounded tops? i fits the flat then you need to find a set of round tops and replace them, if rounded then you main jet may have come loose and needs to be reinstalled. get a rebuild kit for an earlier z if you do have the early carbs. and make sure everything is absolutely clean when you rebuild them. just a thought from my exp from my 73 i had