HybridZ

power steering in s30 from s130

Has anyone done this? I saw some posts when i searched saying should be possible but no one said it has been done. The reason I post this is I know a little old lady (really) who has a 78 280Z she has owned since it was new but she can no longer cope with the steering. (hey we are all going to get old). She hates to give up the car. I've got a steering unit complete off a 83 turbo car and some guys in the club would help if it is doable. Any help would be appreciated.

Search...it has been done. It isn't easy. It isn't cheap. Some have used a Ford Mustang or Subaru STI rack and a couple other units I believe. I have a Subbi rack in my garage but haven't found to investigate it's functionality yet.

Has anyone done this? I saw some posts when i searched saying should be possible but no one said it has been done. The reason I post this is I know a little old lady (really) who has a 78 280Z she has owned since it was new but she can no longer cope with the steering. (hey we are all going to get old). She hates to give up the car. I've got a steering unit complete off a 83 turbo car and some guys in the club would help if it is doable. Any help would be appreciated.

I seem to recall that the S130s changed to "rear steer" (knuckle and rack behind the kingpin axis, instead of in front on the s30). If this is correct, then the s130 gear would steer backwards in an s30.

• Administrators

The S-130 is a rear steer system as TimZ pointed out. It will NOT work in the S-30 chassis without some VERY serious reconstruction performed to the S-30 body/suspension, such as relocating the T/C rods to the front of the car, etc.

There are much easier ways to acquire power steering the S-30 an it has been covered extensively on this forum, though not sure if all of it is the appropriate section. (If you guys fond one in the wrong section let me know via PM and I’ll move it..)

BlueOvalZ, was one of the pioneers in adapting power steering to the S-30 chassis, using Ford parts. Also, the Suby rack is another recent conversion and I think I recall reading that the Miata Rack has also been done as well, I may have misread that so don't quote me.

Any how, search the Brakes, Wheels, Suspension and Chassis section of this forum and the answers "should" be there.

If anyone can find a good definitive power steering thread worthy of Sticky status, please let either Jmortensen or myself know via PM and we’ll sticky it in the Brakes, Wheels, Suspension and Chassis section.