HybridZ

305 carb worth it?

im just now looking into converting my 78 from inline to v8. ive had the car now for a couple of years and got tired of having to try to keep up with punk neons! my question is: i have easy access to a 78 305 carb. engine/transmission, so should i use this if its in good shape or look elsewhere for a 350? im not going for a street rod so maybe the 305 is an option. i really dont even know what kinda power a 305 like i said would produce. Any Ideas?

quote:

Originally posted by Austringer:

I recently saw a dyno test between an identical 305 and 350. The 350 was worth and aditional 50HP an 50TK.

Yup, even OE vs. OE the 350 is a big leg up on the 305. 305's w/ smaller bore really have their heads/valves shrouded which limits breathing and efficiency. Same reason you rarely hear favourable thoughts on 305 heads on 350s...bumps compression but not so worthwhile overall unless a lot is done and then it may as well be a 350 smile.gif. Definitely worth waiting/looking for the 350 combo or 327 etc...(anything but 305 if you can help it)

------------------

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

If easy access means it runs and is real cheap, I'd consider the 305. Power and torque are no where near that of comparable 350's but, a small block is a smal block in terms of mounting brakets, exhaust, yadda, yadda, yadda.

Work out all of the conversion bugs with a proven engine (stock and whimpy as it may be) while you hunt down your dream small block.

Nothing like trying to fire that fresh rebuilt engine with things like ignition and electric fuel pump being unproved.

I've taken 2 years to round up most of the pieces to build a healthy 406 and manual valve body TH400, yet I could have been driving it with a mildly built 350 and stock TH400 in the mean time. Wish I could get those 2 years back!

NOT SO FAST! If this 305 is really cheap and has a 5sp or 700R4 tranny, get it. Just stab in a decent cam and put it in your car. Take the advice to get the car running, work out the bugs, and enjoy it. Then build up a proper 350 in the meantime, take your time and do it right. There is nothing wrong with a 305, and it is a good starter motor for a conversion--but the caveat is: only if it is cheap; otherwise, it's just tying up your cash. Remember, you can sell it later as well, so don't overpay for such a motor. But consider it only if the price is right!

I have to ditto what DavyZ says. I'm in the middle of my convertion, and probably the easiest part was slipping the motor in. It's all the "little" stuff were all the work is at. If the motor runs, and is cheep do it. Just choose the right tranny now (read OD). Changing to a better motor latter will take a Saturday, topps.