HybridZ

Good Deal? -1973 240z $4k (w/ pics)

So I’ve been lurking around these forums for a while now as I’ve decided long ago I wanted a 240. Just today I went and had a look at a local 240z as pictured below. It handled really well and the L28 seemed to be running fine. I’m new to Z’s and I need to make sure this is a decent deal. I’m thinking of doing a SBC drop but I’m having second thoughts as the car was an extremely fun ride as is. 1973 DATSUN 240-Z ($4,000.00)

Tokico Illumina 5-way adj. Shocks Tokico lowering “sport” springs MSA strut bars (F&R) Polyurithane bushings in all suspension components Solid steering coupler to replace mushy rubber part Solid differential mount (1 piece billet) 6 Point roll cage (custom welded - NOT bolt-in) w/ reinforced mounting points Power Stop cross-drilled rotors (Front) Steel braided brake lines Recently re-built front calipers New E-88 Head with Schneider internally lubed cam (mild cam) built by Pierre’Z (Old cam used external oiler which was not reliable for racing.) MSA 6 into 1 header Dual downdraft Weber carbs (recently rebuilt) with K&N filters Crane electronic ignition High capacity oil pump Re-wound alternator to support night enduro lighting MSA 4-row radiator Race bucket seat with 6 point SABELT cam-lock restraint harness Window net Emergency battery cut-off MSA Short-shift kit Autometer gauges & shift-ligh Car will pass tech as is - Ready to race

-- Besides the spot in the picture the body is dent and rust free, and of course the missing rear lower panel (250$ replacement I think)

240z3zh8.jpg

240z4mu7.jpg

240z5mx1.jpg240z2kz2.jpg240z1cd3.jpg

Any thoughts?

well is it your every day car or fun track car? if every day car do not do it... cage = heat and seat + harnesses just a pain... big thing is that they are cam so even bigger... but if its your track car go for it... and i saw this on craigs list for la... never know id check the common spots for rust

Yeah it's going to be at best a weekend hot rod type thing and possibly a track car if i decide to keep the l28 in there. Definitly not a daily driver though.

ok in that case go for it! why not keep the L28? its a great motor... and real simple to re build from what ive been told...

ok in that case go for it! why not keep the L28? its a great motor... and real simple to re build from what ive been told...

the main reason is that I'm looking for a lot of power. i know the l28 can make great power with a turbo, but from what I've read I'd need more sturdy block for that.

300-350 hp is what my goal would be nothing too extreme a sbc drop or something similar. Ya know just enough to dust most the jerks who pull up next to me. Would parting out the engine be a decent way to make back some of the money?

Kind of hard to go wrong at that price.

The in line 6's are great motors. They make a Z car a blast to drive. But more power is always better. that car would be a great V8 candidate.

Make sure you get rid of the solid front diff mount. When you do that inspect the cross piece for cracks.

Rust in the doglegs is one of the first place Z cars get it. How old is the paint? If it is a few years old then you are probably looking at all the rust the car has. If the paint is just a year or so old, then it could be covering up a lot.

Have to second what cpt jack said about no heat and a harness on a street car, although I don't agree with his chassis twist assesment. The car has a welded 6 point bar. Put in a triangulated strut bar and it should be good to 500 HP. No heat and no AC also means no defroster. Just be prepared to sit on the side of the road if you get caught in weather somewhere.

I am not sure I would drive that car on the street, not with out a lot of interior changes. If for no other reason than I like being able to talk my way out of tickets. As soon as a cop sees that interior he is going to stop talking and start writing.

How old is the paint?

Just be prepared to sit on the side of the road if you get caught in weather somewhere.

I like being able to talk my way out of tickets. As soon as a cop sees that interior he is going to stop talking and start writing.

The paint looked at least a few years old. I live in Southern California and it'll be a weekend car so I'm not too worried about the weather being a factor, but you do make a good point about not being able to talk my way out of tickets with that interior. It'll take me a week to gather the bones but I think I'm gonna go for it guys.

The paint looked at least a few years old. I live in Southern California and it'll be a weekend car so I'm not too worried about the weather being a factor, but you do make a good point about not being able to talk my way out of tickets with that interior. It'll take me a week to gather the bones but I think I'm gonna go for it guys.

AHHHH when i got ricketed i was in my zx i had 100% striped interior and a racing seat.. lol! he was like speed racer get outa tha car lol....

• 3 months later...

Personally I would not purchase this car unless I was going to keep the L6 in it.. Like someone said before, its a blast to drive, and unless you are planing on going at high speeds in a straight line it should be all you need to cut stunning lap times.. But we cant defeat the purpose of the hybrid z forums and turn down the idea of a V8. I just love my good 'ol L6 :mrgreen:

no i ended up getting another 73 240z for about 1.5 grand. ls1 swap in progress. redoing the suspension right now, dropping the motor in next month (hopefully). for what i wanted this one didn't seem right. i think someone picked it up about a week or so after i took a look at it. maybe its someone on here??