HybridZ

Any Sheetmetal Fabricators Out There?

Looking to have a small, simple tank fabricated for a reasonable cost. Tank will be used for methanol so it has to be aluminum or SS, whichever is less expensive. I have included some sketches with approximate dimensions with more exact dimensions to follow if we can strike up a deal. It does not have to be show quality because it will be hidden away. Just has to be leak-proof.

You can PM if you prefer to keep it private.

alkytank_thumb.jpg

This is for my FC RX7 and it will be located inside the front of fenderwell behind the pass-side flip-up headlight. I have a small tank on top of the I/C that is used to fill the system and will drain into this main tank through one of the bungs on the top. The other bung on the top is for a vent to aid fill-up. The big bung on the bottom will feed the alky pump which is also located in the fenderwell a few inches away. I am currently using a generic plastic overflow bottle that only has a 64oz capacity + 24oz from the filler bottle. I estimate the new tank + the filler bottle bottle will give me a 1+gal capacity. I use about a pint on each pass with the burnout and the 1/4-mile run. I dont street race and that capacity is fine when I go to the track.

I am on my 2nd bottle having had one crack on me. Paranoid about the plastic bottle busting and dumping at 130mph or leaking out and leaving me dry at max boost. The tank needs those specific dimensions to fit in the tight confines and dont know if Zs could use such a tank. One of these days turbo Zs will discover the magic of alky-injection :D

What you using for nozzles and whatnot Scotty? I had an aggro pump and a mister for a greenhouse on mine. The Tupperware container I had worked well but yeah plastic is NOT the way to go long term. My dream was to use a second set of injectors and really do it right, that or a second fuel system with race gas :-)

I run the complete kit from alkycontrol.com. It uses a modified Shurflo pump, inline filter, all teflon-lined/steel-braided hoses, progressive controller with gain control, manual adjustment to increase pump voltage and low-level warning light. I run M10 and M15 nozzles and have it turn on @ 6#. My IAT, measured at about the center of the intake, is always at or below ambient at full boost thru the traps.

Hi Scottie,

I looked at the alkycontrol.com website and was wondering what kit you used? The L6 guy here is ready to see the majic in the alcohol bottle. Sorry to hijack the thread. :redface: PM me if you feel it necessary.

Joe

None of the kits listed will work for you. You need to call them, ask for Julio and tell him Scottie referred you. BTW, this is the system Garrett is using (Where you at, Garrett? :D)

You will need to tell them what your HP goal is (nozzles?), how much boost (2 or 3-bar MAP sensor?) and try to figure out where you will locate the tank to understand what tank might work for you and the length of the steel-braided lines.

Sounds pretty much like the setup I ran actually! Teflon line, Sureflo aggro pump with viton seals (I think), and a nozzle at the end - the M numbers even sound like the ones I used. They are for misting greenhouses and things and can be gotten in various materials. Guys use them to make snow too :-) My pump was pulsed like an injector so while I had control it wasn't as fine as it might have been down low, there might have been a check valve too that I cannot recall. The electronic relay on mine was from an industrial A/C application and worked very well! Not bad if you have an extra injector output on your EMS like I did although truthfully I'd still have preferred a real injector. For low fluid I had a pressure switch on the pump setup such that when there was no pressure in the line the EMS received a signal telling it to maintain low boost. If the pump "fired" per the EMS but no pressure high signal was received boost pressure remained low. I liked it lots even with some silly shortcomings.

You using Klotz lube in it by any chance? That's supposed to help keep the alcohol from being quite so harsh on materials but getting it well mixed can be troublesome especially if there's also water in there.

P.S. Am in florida on business but sadly cannot stop by :-( Right down the street in Melbourne but must fly early in the morning.