HybridZ

looking for help

zcar?

ok well i need some help, i have been searching and doing alot of reading and investigating on megasquirt. and im stumped, how do you know what one to buy? ms1, ms2, ect... i got new injecters and pigtails from the local auto salvage yard,(i dont like calling them junk yarsd, because its not junk to me its like treasure). anyway i plan on doing the extruda body itb's and will need a new way to control my fuel and spark, right now i made my own stand-a-lone ems using all my stock stuff because the L28 isnt in a zcar anymore, ore even a nissan for that matter and i hate the way it functions, and plan on possibly going to turbo later on, im going to the local salvage yard (boring, Oregon) to get some more parts tomorrow , so my questions are:

what are the diffrences between the versions?

what one is the best/ easiest to use?

what parts are needed? (other than iat, coolant temp senser)

how much fuel pressure is needed?

can you use any injecters? (hope so)

i want to do a coil for each plug, do all the versions support this?

can i use any coils? or are they special?

well its late and thats all i can think of for now so thanks for reading this and please post up any usefull info on what parts, any tips, and if you have a megasquirt ecu for sale pm me and i will most likely buy it

Jeremy

pics of the car that its in

IMG_0469.jpg

IMG_0470.jpg

like this setup

MikeHintzBareCoils.jpg

Have you read through the MS faq and links at the top of this forum? That's where I started after I had read completely through the megamanual. There is a ton of information in this forum answering all your questions in detail. The FAQ and links threads are the best place to start.

I went with MSII, because it's not that much more expensive and it is the platform that is being developed now. The MSI code has reached its zenith and will not be developed further. With MSI you can really do everything you probably ever want to, but I have a hard time saying "no" to more toys, such as I get by running MS2Extra code.

what are the diffrences between the versions?

There's three main boards currently on the market (not counting the eMS-Pro) and two processors.

The V2.2 is sort of the base model. It's designed for fuel only control with high impedance injectors, but can be expanded to work with other things.

The V3.0 adds some ignition control features, including the ability to read variable reluctor sensors and a lot more overcurrent protection.

The V3.57 only comes in assembled form. It's basically a surface mount V3.0, although it has an extra connector that is handy for six coil ignition systems.

The Megasquirt-I processor is an older design, with more documentation and testing for extra I/O functions. The Megasquirt-II has a faster processor, but the distributorless ignition options aren't as well tested.

Right now, only the MS-I can drive six coils independantly.

what one is the best/ easiest to use?

To meet your desire for COP ignition, a Megasquirt-I with a V3.0 board (if you're building it yourself) or V3.57 (if you're buying one ready made) would be best.

what parts are needed? (other than iat, coolant temp senser)

You'll need some sort of trigger wheel setup, as the stock trigger wheel doesn't work for wasted spark. There's a couple options:

1. Use a crank trigger and fill in all but one hole on a ZXT optical distributor.

2. Machine a custom plate for the ZXT optical distributor that will let you use the Megasquirt's missing tooth wheel. Something like a 12-1 or 36-1 wheel will work.

how much fuel pressure is needed?

Any amount your injectors can work with.

can you use any injecters? (hope so)

Almost anything with the V3.0 and higher boards, but there are a few limits. Just don't grab them off something truly weird, like a Bosch CIS K-Jetronic or a common rail diesel, and you should be all right.

i want to do a coil for each plug, do all the versions support this?

Megasquirt-I can do this with a suitable trigger. Megasquirt-II is limited to four coil outputs, so you would need wasted spark.

can i use any coils? or are they special?

Again, as long as it's not something too weird, yes. You'll need to figure out its dwell settings.

thank you matt,

i have injecters out of o lincoln towncar, and was in the process of pulling a 36-1 wheel and vr sensor out of a ford taurus but i diddnt have a puller, so i left it for someone else.

• 4 years later...