HybridZ

L28E running really bad!!

To give alittle history, my 83 280zx non-turbo started cutting out while driving. I had this problem before with another car and replaced the ignition module. before the module was replaced the car sat up for a few months. After i replaced the module once the car would get to normal tempeture the car would start to get real slugish and start skipping around 3000 rpms.

since then i have replaced the TPS, rebuilt then replaced the Air Flow Meter, replaced fuel filter several times.

The car seemed to drive better for a few weeks but now is getting bad again.

Anyone have any ideas of things to test to find the problem?

Anyone have any ideas of things to test to find the problem?

Sounds like the infamous "loses power @ ~3k RPM" or "won't go above XXXX RPM (I'm surprised this hasn't been thrown into the Toolshed yet :wink:)

I just cured this same problem today...clean the TPS, AFM and ECU connectors.

In my case it turned out to be the ECU connections. I never thought the ECU connections would get funky since it is inside the cabin, but sure enough, there was some oily residue sitting at the bottom of the connector gunking up the lower two leads of the big connector block.

To clean the connectors, if they are really green and corroded, you may have to use ~1200 grit sandpaper to clean them up (this wasn't necessary on the ECU leads). Then use some electronics cleaner (I used Berryman's...smells a lot like ether) then blow it out with some compressed air. Finally, push the connector on and off several times to help ensure you get a good connection before the final seating.

If you still think it might be fuel, you can temporarily plumb and mount a pressure gage to your windshield and go drive it to see if you're losing pressure somehow...mine went up to ~50 psi at WOT, but that is for an L28ET.