HybridZ

Does this automatic transmission look toast? not Z

Chewievette

I recently had the auto trans in my daily driver go out so I pulled it and started a rebuild but I keep finding parts that look bad to me but so far I have not found anything that indicates a complete failure. When it broke I totally lost reverse and forward would drop out after a minute or so of driving it. I dont have any experience with automatic transmissions so I am hoping you guys can help me figure out the problem. At the moment I am seriously considering ditching this trans and rebuilding a lower mileage one, since I cant seem to find a distinct problem with mine.

So if you have a few minutes, please take a look at my pictures and let me know if you see anything that would be causing me problems.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v11/chewievette/Cars/My%20Car/Transmission%20Rebuild/

btw, its a dodge a606 (42le) transmission

I am no transmission guru by any means, but make sure to check through the pump and valve body assembly as well. Maybe some "trash" in the valve body or damaged pump impeller.

I'm just giving you some ideas to try.

Good luck.

Oh, I see that this it a FWD trans. Some of the clutches look alittle burned. IMHO you need a master rebuild kit with clutches, steels and bushings. You may need other thrust washers or bearings as well, but you can buy them individually from a trans shop. I'm not sure about the chain, but if your not in the know about what can be re-used it's better to replace it. You will still need to check clutch pack clearance as well as other clearances when you go back to gether. I've seen some trans shops use scotch brite on the steels to deglaze them, but IMHO that is not the way to go, GO NEW!

I am ordering a set of Stage 2 clutches from Raybestos, along with their overhaul kit. I have also decided to pickup a newer transmission so I can upgrade to the stronger components. I checked the chain using the method in the manual and they allow for 1" of deflection, mine has less than half that. I am trying to avoid buying new steels since they will double my rebuild cost, but if they need it then I'll gladly spend the extra money. I will wait on that until I get the other trans apart. I have been cross referencing between the ATSG (automatic transmission service group) manual and Factory service manual for this rebuild. Some things are still a bit sketchy but it seems pretty straight forward so far.

Guessing games are so much fun...

As stated above, the clutches are a little burned, but not to the "fails to move" stage. Since you have books on the trans, you may be able to look at the elements applied in various gears to find what blew. Reverse problem may be easy to find... Be interesting to know, even if it isn't the trans you will be running.

Low pressures (Pump wear or leaks it can't keep up with) lead to slippage and burned clutch packs, but not generally to catastrophic failure. (You've heard the tired ones, engines screaming, car barely moving... those aren't all high stall converters :mrgreen:). The steels turn blue/black, and the frictions start looking like the steels. Stinky/burned oil, generally black in color (not the normal clear red).

Might a failed seal have leaked enough that as the fluid warmed and thinned, pressures dropped and gave you your drive (forward) symptoms? Anywhere in the reverse circuit a seal might go away and even affect forward gears?

Just having fun guessing... have only built a few old 3 speeds, far from an expert. IIRC, Jakeshoe was the only one we had.

<>