HybridZ

Launching an Automatic

SkYBlue280Z

Sadly, my Z is an automatic..... But yeah, I love it anyways.

To the point, I heard a good way to launch from a drag in an automatic Z is to first put it into gear 1. Then when its about to red-line you take the foot off the gas and shift it into gear 2. Then when that red-lines you put it into drive.

I mean, I did it and you really do get a better start then you would in drive since it down shifts automatically. But i also heard its very bad for your car. Some advice please.

Thanks

Sadly, my Z is an automatic..... But yeah, I love it anyways.

To the point, I heard a good way to launch from a drag in an automatic Z is to first put it into gear 1. Then when its about to red-line you take the foot off the gas and shift it into gear 2. Then when that red-lines you put it into drive.

I mean, I did it and you really do get a better start then you would in drive since it down shifts automatically. But i also heard its very bad for your car. Some advice please.

Thanks

i believe doing so would put a lot of stress on your (stock) torque converter. I dont know what the stall speed is for our cars but if you were able to get it close to redline that could be bad?