HybridZ

RB20 tranny + RB25?

RayG1988

First of all I'd like to say thanks to z_cars_rule who gave me extra information (besides what i searched) on an RB swap.

If I were to swap in an RB20 into my 280zx I figured out the costs and it'd look something like this:

11110-20P00 RB20DET Oil Pan $141.83

15050-20P03 RB20DET Oil Pickup $27.48

15059-V5001 RB20DET Oil Pickup O-Ring $1.71

Autometer 2 5/8" Boost Gauge $72.50

RB20DET $1,325.00

Complete Engine 5 Speed Transmission

Engine un cut Wirring Harness ECU (Computer)

Turbo Intake Manifold

Exhaust Manifold Alternator

Cam Angle sensor Starter

AC Compressor Power Steering Pump

Clutch Kit Fly Wheel

Fuel Rail Throttle Body

Igniter Chip All Brackets and Sensors

Grand Total w/shipping: $1568.52

However, I was talking it over with a friend who recently swapped in an RB20 and he said I would get tired it fast and that torque on it sucked. I looked up information on the RB25 last night and it'll bolt in just like the RB20. However, I was wondering if an RB20's transmission can be used on the RB25. The reason I ask is because I am still somewhat on a budget so I cannot afford custom mounts or any custom work (I'd be doing the swap by myself and a friend).

If anyone can shed any light on this I'd be really thankful.

Theres not to much information available for s130s, and I searched as much as possible before posting this so I wouldn't look like an ignorant n00b.

The rb20 transmission will bolt up but will be SIGNIFICANTLY weaker than the 25 trans. Thats why the 20 tranny is about $250 and the 25 is $1000. I can easily be done but if you are going to drive hard and make some power be prepared for that.

If you did do this and broke the rb20 trans you could do the bellhousing swap for a stronger z32 trans. I hope im correct by all this

Good luck

You cannot swap a rb20 bellhousing onto a 300zx trans.

However, you can use a 240sx trans.

If your going to spend the money, don't bother with the rb20 tranny. Be prepared to spend the money up front else it will cost more in the end! Trust me!!!

Evan

I don't need anything special for the RB20det swap.

I can use everything, except I'd have to use a different oil pan. Other than that everything lines up.

What are the limits for the 20DET and 25DET transmissions?

Well internally the 25det trans is the same as a z32. They seem to put down 500+ through these things.

The RB20 trans is very close (if not the same) to an SR trans. I don't know of HP handling but I know they break very often. Hence the z32 trans adapter plate.

Evan

It all depends on what you are looking for. If you want to go big power, get the 25 tranny. If you aren't looking to go much over 450 hp, don't. I had a 20 tranny on my 25 and had no problems at all.

Also, your prices are not far off, but don't for one second think thats all you are gonna spend. If you do, you'll be sorely disappointed. People who set a budget on a car build are always the ones that get frustrated and sell their car for little money. Plus you will need more. You forgot:

1. The motor mount kit. Gonna have to have that.

2. Radiator, thermostat and all related pieces for that.

3. Wiring for it all to run. Unless you can do that yourself.

4. Will need to drop the pan, flush the motor and other fun stuff related to a motor that has probably sat in a wrecking yard for a year or more, then sat on a dock in salt air and so on and so forth.

5. Water pump. Replace it now or suffer later like I did.

6. New clutch because your old one i'm sure isn't gonna be new so once again, replace now or suffer later.

Thats just a start. Lets not forget all the wonderful little bolts you either lose, someone kicks all over the garage floor or are just plain missing. Plus get ready to spend long nights without the people who are your friend until there is car work to be done and make sure there is an all-night Autozone around you for the miriad of little things you are gonna need.

Trust me, it's not as easy as ordering the motor set and setting it in. If it were, everyone would have one. :)

I don't need any special mounts, to my knowledge it bolts in just fine (assuing it's just an RB20det swap with tranny) since I have an s130. But you're right on radiator, thermostat, water pump, and clutch.

I figured I could still use the one's on my 280zx since the threads I've seen people do the rb20det swap never mention getting new ones.

Thanks for the info guys, guess I'll keep saving.

Just don't start your project short on funds! Man its so much nicer to work on something when your basically just assembling instead of digging change out of the couch when you forgot somethin lol.

John has an RB in his car, and he says mount kit. Sounds like somethin you may wanna search on!

Best of luck.

Evan