HybridZ

V6 Engine ID Help Request

Guest KCMan

Guest KCMan

I need some definitive assistance. I bought an old 300ZX. The engine had been swapped before I got it and it is maybe NOT the same engine that came in this 1986 chassis. It is supposed to be the VG30-E according too the plate under the hood and the VIN (JN1HZ16S7GXxxxxxx). Confusion arises when I look up the gaskets, etc and all references call this "SOHC". Maybe I am thinking of things wrongly, but with one cam per bank of 3 cylinders (one cam per head) makes me think that this engine is a "DOHC" since the engine has two heads. Am I wrong--is it a "SOHC" because there is only one cam per head??

More Info on the engine I have:

Bore is approximately 3.40"

Stroke approximately 3.38"

There are 2 valves/cylinder or 12 valves total

There are 13 head bolts per head

On the left side of the engine block I found "85E"

On the right side, either "4215B" or "42158", not certain about the last one.

Here are some images of the "cavity" and the engine on a stand in various stages of "pseudo" assembly.

Can anyone help me positively identify what engine I have so that I can get the correct gaskets and get it back in the car? Please?

KCMan

P_00286.jpg

P_00287.jpg

P_00288.jpg

P_00289.jpg

P_00290.jpg

P_00293.jpg

• Administrators

Ok,

That engine you pictured is the VG30E.

SOHC is just that, A single cam over A head. DOHC is just that, Dual cams over A head. You just happen to have 2 heads, but it is still a SOHC engine as all VG30E's are. The VG30DE is the DOHC variant, with a total of 4 camshafts. I think you get the idea.

Read this..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OHC

So if a SOHC is pronounced like a "sock" by most. And the DOHC is pronounced like a "dock" by most. What would QOHC be?

:mrgreen:

.. its a good thing the W8 engines from VW don't have 4 heads!!! I think the VW Crowd has been trounced enough already for their shenanigans.

I mean, come on. purposely rusted hoods? jap-bozo type wheel offsetting? unsafe tire stretching? and soon... QOHC-head engines?

:lmao:

crazy Europeans!

Guest KCMan

Your reply really defined the engine for me and straightened out my faulty concept. The link was PERFECT for my issues. I now understand and can go get the gaskets to complete the reassembly. Former owner had pulled the timing belt for a hose repair and screwed up in reinstalling. I bought it with a VERY noisy but running (barely) engine. #6 had a valve snapped and stuck sideways in the seat with a corresponding hole in the piston. I'm just trying to get it running again and will probably peddle it for a better example of this or a newer Z.

You are an asset to this forum--thanks for taking the time to help a newbie!!

KCMan

• Administrators
So if a SOHC is pronounced like a "sock" by most. And the DOHC is pronounced like a "dock" by most. What would QOHC be?

:mrgreen:

.. its a good thing the W8 engines from VW don't have 4 heads!!! I think the VW Crowd has been trounced enough already for their shenanigans.

I mean, come on. purposely rusted hoods? jap-bozo type wheel offsetting? unsafe tire stretching? and soon... QOHC-head engines?

:lmao:

crazy Europeans!

I thought it was a Variable Analog Geared Ignition Noise Attenuator? Guess I was wrong, oh well. :mrgreen:

I thought it was a Variable Analog Geared Ignition Noise Attenuator? Guess I was wrong, oh well. :mrgreen:

oh?.... Well i think you're on the right track. I mean all the VW cars use the VAG System to control their Computers. So you could, in a sense, be correct.

On that topic, however, VW's are a prone to electrical problems, or are very hard to mess with when troubleshooting. That's why VW owners readily assume, or pretend, that their VW has suffered from a VAG Virus. pouting and crying is STD Procedure.

I've also heard to too much about leakage in the hatch that seems to cause burns and flares and sometimes leaves a dirty mess of the associated interior parts.

• Administrators

Ah, the common oily discharge from the exhaust. Not a good sign for sure. Sure, it works as good lube for “rodding” out the carbon from the tail pipe, and as you eluded to, it will cause the passengers seat to itch in the long term. ill.gif