HybridZ

some NOOB Q's....sorry

caszboy

OK, here is the real problem....I DONT HAVE A GARAGE!!!!!! crap......

lol, anyways...

I bought my 1974 6/74 260z as a future V8 swap candidate with the intention of getting it nicely painted and such. After owning this car for some time and doing mechanical work here and there, i have decided that it will now be my future parts car when i find a rust free z. So this car has taken a different direction. It is now my daily driver.

So since y'all now have an idea of the car, here is what i want to do.

The car looks like CRAP as of now. I'm kind of embarrassed to ride in it sometimes due to flaking paint and rust spots. So i want to get is painted. I know the basics. I can used fiberglass and bondo and make it look good. I have already priced a CHEAP paint job at Maaco for $299.00 for the enamel paint. I am going to rent a garage for a month for $300 bucks (unless someone knows of something cheaper in the Virginia Beach area???). But i don't know quite how to prep the car for what i want. Sure i could take it down the bare metal with stripper/sanding and fix everything but i want to do the minimum since its my future parts car. so this is kind of what i want to do...

1. Sand/grind rust to good metal.

2. Spay on the Rustoleum Rust Converter

3. Bondo/fiberglass over the Converter

4. Lightly sand entire car till smooth (do i need to sand till i hit previous primer or can i just ruff up the existing paint?)

5. Primer (but which one????? would rattle can be OK?) Maaco will also being spraying a coat of primer so i just need it protect the repaired areas till i get it to Maaco and have them do it.

6. Then take it to maaco.

I know the right way of doing this but I'm asking for the cutting corners way. I know this is a hack job but i just want it to look OK for about 2 years till i get my good z. Any advice or wisdom would be great. thanks in advance.

Casey

Sounds like you've got a good plan, already. You didn't mention taking off bumpers, emblems, and side marker lights - not sure how Maaco deals with those if you leave them on. Since you're in a humid area, rattle can primer bare metal to keep new rust from starting while you're working on it. You might want to use a light color primer over a dark color primer so you can find high & low spots when you're sanding. Just scuffing the existing paint should be fine for your purposes. Post some pictures as you go. I'd like to see a $300 Maaco paint job.

Dennis

'71 Z Original Owner

cool, thats what i was wondering. yeah i post some pics. im getting it under way here in about a month. i have to find a garage to rent. the one i found earlier has been rented already for a guy with a boat. i will keep yall updated. thanks for the input.

Also i was thinking of doing a hood like the one from zparts.com. i hope yall don't mind me posting the pic. I like how it keeps the lines of the original z hood but just adds that little extra!

it just looks so awesome IMO!!!DCP_0412rw1.jpg