HybridZ

Coilover threaded sleeve is too short!

So I was just about done with getting everything ready to install my larger wheels when I ran into a snag...the threaded sleeves for the rear coilovers are too short!

The sleeves I have now are 4" long and putting the lower perch at the top is still interferring with my tires. I have the 8" springs, but I need longer threaded sleeves to go with them.

I have 5" long threaded sleeves on the front, so I tried to swap them out, but the Inside diameter is different so it won't work.

Anyone know where I can find longer threaded sleeves (I'd like to get just the sleeves, and not a whole kit)? I could probably get them from Modern Motorsports, but I don't feel like starting another thread looking for Ross to find out. I'll call Dave at Arizona Z car in the morning, unless someone knows another source to use. I believe I'm having the problem because I have the larger 56mm 280Z strut tubes on the rear and the smaller 240Z struts on the front.

I'll give Ground Control a shot, that's who made the coilovers I'm currently using. I think it would be much easier to get a longer threaded sleeve than trying to fabricate a spacer, but we'll see how it goes.

I talked to A1 Racing and it sounds like their sleeves would work, but I would need to purchase their adjustable lower spring perches as well (threads are different). So I called Ground Control and they have the longer sleeves and are sending me out a new pair today.

Thanks for all the help.

I received the longer sleeves from Ground Control...and they won't work. I called them again and they said it was a misunderstanding and they don't have sleeves that will work for 280Z rear strut tubes over 4" long.

So I placed a new order with A-1 Racing for 5" sleeves and coil over nuts.

• 2 weeks later...

So I received the 5" sleeves and nuts from A-1 Racing...and they won't fit (the inside diameter is still too small)! So I think the proper solution is to weld on new lower retaining rings above the old ones and use my original 4" sleeves. I guess this means I need to remove the strut inserts

Man what a pain this has been!

Are you sure those are actually 280Z strut tubes?

Seems to me if you order sleeves for a 280Z they would be the correct size, that is if Tim used actual 280 tubes when he built the rear end. Might be worth a call to him to find out what he really used.

Wheelman

Are you sure those are actually 280Z strut tubes?

Seems to me if you order sleeves for a 280Z they would be the correct size, that is if Tim used actual 280 tubes when he built the rear end. Might be worth a call to him to find out what he really used.

Wheelman

They're definitely 280z strut tubes. Ground Control screwed up on the first shipment and when I called them back they told me they don't make sleeves longer than 4" because the walls of the sleeves are so thin. A-1 listed the sleeves as being a little smaller than I thought I needed, but when I did a search it sounded like other people had gotten them to work. 4" sleeves should work fine, but they need to be moved up on the strut tubes.