HybridZ

l28 turbo swapped s13 vs l28 turbo s30?

stephen87

i am about to aquire a '90 240sx that has a l28 turbo.. and iam thinking about ripping the whole set up out and throwing it in an s30 probably a 280 where (imo) it belongs.. the longblock is stock, with an n42 intake a t3/t4 of some sort (not ebay crap) megasquirt II with timing control.. and the ka trans conversion...any way , the thought of a 300+ hp s13 is nice, as well as a more modern car.. BUT it just does not hold the same appeal as an s30, and putting an l series in a s13 to me, is like putting in a carb'd conventional sbc in place of an ls1 in a 98+ fbody.. any way, i can't decide.. iam very wishy washy about it.. is there a signifagant weight difference between a hatch s13 and a late s30?

this is the car.. some may know it.. http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=115464

Its an awesome idea, think: less rust, a lot of aftermarket for suspension and such, did I mention less rust, a pretty nice looking car, and best of all your frame rails and floor pans will most likely be stable because of......you guessed it, less rust. Its a cool idea, if I end up getting rid of my 280z, you can bet theres an l28 going into an S13, why be the same as everyone else when you can be diffrent. And the thought of some nice low end torque in a 240 seems like a perfect match.

Man you scared me, I had to step outside and make sure mine is still in the driveway. I live in Louisiana but 10 min from the Mississippi bourder.

The L28ET fits nicely in the S13 and yes it's different. It's been said many times that the "L" motor is powerful, reliable, strong, cheap and easy to work on.

Man you scared me, I had to step outside and make sure mine is still in the driveway. I live in Louisiana but 10 min from the Mississippi bourder.

The L28ET fits nicely in the S13 and yes it's different. It's been said many times that the "L" motor is powerful, reliable, strong, cheap and easy to work on.

i don't supose you have a decent s30 body you would trade for a s13 hatch body, with a q45 lsd r200, and a brand new gp sports 180sx body/lip kit with front and rear facias, carbon over fenders, and side skirts? (this is not a cheap gaudy body kit..... it looks like stock 180sx parts with a subtle lip kit)

Sorry

I have "0" S30's at the moment, I sold them off. Is it that you want to pull the "L" out of that car because it's not a clean install? I used a Skyline X-member and my install came out nice. I often hear that "it looks like it belongs there", "that's a clean install" & "there's a turbo in there, where?".

As you can see, I personaly like the "L" motor in the S13 but this does not mean that i would turn down a nice S30 if I found one. I still have a turbo stroker sitting in the garage waiting to go into something.

umm well it is not the cleanest install, but the main reason is, i like zcars.. i really want a fast s30, and as i said, and l28 in a s13 is just not right.. a car needs a motor that is the same age, or newer..

old motor goes in old car..

new motor goes in old car

old motor does not go in a new car...

it would be like popping the hood on a c5 vette and seeing a conventional sbc with a carb....

• 10 months later...

OK so there was lots of threads on the L28Et in a s13 but noone ever gave an update as to weahter the projects were complete and how they are holding up. And fun factor vs. s30? And Pallnet you need to do a thread on a l28 s13 start to finish! And will a r33 xmember work aswell?