HybridZ

Toyota 4x4 front calipers for 240z upgrade

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Despite all I've read on this subject, this conversion is far from a bolt-on. I ended up making fairly complex spacers for my 280Z rotors and simple but accurate spacers for the calipers. I set the calipers as far inboard as possible (to the point where I could no longer use the stock dust shields. Inspite of all this I still had to mill the bottom fin on the caliper face to get acceptable clearance between the wheel and caliper (common 5 spoke alloy 14" old style wheels).

Guest Anonymous

the bolt on calipers are 79-84 toyota 4x4....you only have to trim the dust plate after bolting them on.....you must have a different year than what was listed above

Guest Anonymous

Agreed, your using a different year that are not the bolt on ones. The ones that bolt on really do, and only require a trim on the dust shield and a slight bending of the steel brakeline. Most wheels will fit depending on backset, I had some with just a tad over 3 1/8" aluminum slots before I put on my weld wheels and it worked fine. Are you talking about the vented rotor conversion?

Regards,

Lone

The toyota calipers were designed around the same parameters as the Z. They will work on any vented rotor that is a stock size replacement for the Gen 1 front rotors. IE: If the rotor will work with the Gen 1 calipers - it will work with the '79-83 Toyota 4x4 truck calipers.

Guest Anonymous

Theres another Toyota caliper though that can be used with vented ZX brakes that is a wider caliper, thats what I was speaking of when I refered to vented rotors. I believe they have the same bolt pattern because they're made by sumitomo, but are much wider so they work with ZX rotors, when used with those I think thats when spacers are involved, the other will work with stock solid rotors (or as phantom said any replacement vented rotor that has the same thickness as the stock solid ones of which I'm not sure there is one, perhaps aftermarket? I've heard of drilled, but they're pretty thin to have vents in them).

Regards,

Lone