HybridZ

out of long term storage

JIM73240Z

ok. i have a 76 280 2+2 that i have had for almost 8-9 years. loved it. mothballed it 6-7 years ago because of my lack of knowledge and finances:rolleyesg.

it would drive awsome all day long. turn it off. and the clock started to tick. if i was back and driving in 5 minutes, i was ok. any longer than that and i was sitting in the car for 30-45 minutes before it would start up:fmad:. once it did, it ran rough and then you would here a "bang" and the car took off like nothing had happened. pretty much why i stopped driving it.

last week me and clifton hooked up to watch the hpde at firebird and i can not wait to get the 73 finished so i can go race. since that is not going to happen any time soon, "i have that 76 on the side of the house that i can drive and get some basic track time in while i finish the race car". sounds like a great idea:mrgreen:.

i replaced the radiator hoses, thermostat, changed the oil, all new tires, plugs, wires, cap, rotor. am i missing any thing? the battery is dead. no big deal, there is a short in there somewhere that drains the battery in like 6-9 months. i had almost no gas in the tank when i parked it. should i replace the filter and pump? is there anything i need to look for? and any ideas on my "vapor lock" problem, i do not know if it is vapor lock but any ideas is welcome

i am trying to get the car road worthy and then do some minor mods to make it fun to drive.

jimbo

No gas in the tank?

Bad idea. The inside is probably heavily corroded. I heard you're supposed to fill the tank then put fuel stabilizer in it if you're going to store it. Can you look inside a 76 tank at all?

If so I would take a peep inside, and if it's bad have it hot tanked and refinished (cost me like $100 in Flagstaff).

Also, add a little Marvel Mystery oil (I heard ATF works good too) to each cylinder from the spark plug hole and let it sit over night to try and unstick the rings if they are stuck.

Good luck!

Mario

Look at the things that can kill, or strand, you - like fuel & brake lines, all brake & clutch cylinders, belts. I just pulled my '71 240 out of 15 years of storage in April and replaces all the tires, fuel/water/brake hoses, belts, brakes, and clutch hydraulic pieces. It fired right up and runs nicely. Have fun!

Dennis

'71 Z, Original Owner

vapour lock was a big problem with the early models thats why they introduced the bonnet vents in the 280z onwards, try pick up a 280 bonnet otherwise if your a bit of a fiddler like i am try and move the fuel hoses as far away from the block as you can as this is what causes vapour lock (duh), its not hard to rig up a bit of ducting hose that dumps fresh air from the front on to your hoses either for that little bit of extra cooling

once it cools down below 100 degrees i will go back outside. the car turns over fine but no gas. i put in only 2 gal in the tank this morning because i was not sure if i would need to dump it. i disconnected the fuel line at the fuel filter and got no gas. i can not hear anything from the pump. never could. i will try disconnecting after the fuel pump this evening. im not sure if it was vapor lock that was the problem.

jimbo

i have a similar problem with mine atm, dont hear the pump wind up when i turn the key around, think my pump is cactus. sprayed the connections in the car with them but the points on the actual pump the rubber has gone funny so i cant take it off to clean those points. sometimes just requires about 10sec of cranking to turn over

i replaced all of the fuel lines last night. the fuel pump that i picked up from dave (azcar) was a little different from what was there. the old pump was clogged with reddish crap. blew out all of the hard lines. from pump forward it was ok. from the tank it looked ok. just the pump. got a new one this morning but it is 100 degrees at 8:30 so it will wait for sundown.

jimbo

ITS ALIVE, ITS ALIVE. at least it runs, like $hit, but it runs. i got the new fuel pump, replaced the lines, injectors are in the mail, the gas tank i still have to get to a shop for cleaning. the boots for the afm are toast. but at least it runs. got to get it running good for the next hpde.

jimbo