HybridZ

Trans options, few other questions too.

m1ghtymaxXx

Well i picked a 83 280zx turbo for parts a few weeks ago to swap into my 83 n/a. The parts car is an auto, and obviously i'd like to stay with the 5 speed, so i've been looking for a t5 to swap in with the turbo. Now i havn't had much luck with the t5 search, so i was looking into the current 5 spd i have, and it seems the t5 isn't too much stronger than what i've got now, and neither are all that strong. Another reason i wanted to swap trannies was because my 5spd is grinding in 2nd and 3rd on really hard shifts.

Now my plan for the swap is to just start by straight swapping motors (parts motor has 152 XXX kms on it, and doesn't blow any smoke). As i can afford parts, i would be adding a fmic, bigger injectors, ecu, fuel pump, afpr, and what ever other supporting mods it takes to max out the stock t3, then decide what turbo to upgrade to.

So my question is how much power has the nissan 5 speed been known to take. Eventually i'd like to do the 240sx or 300zx trans swap, but in the mean time i'd rather concentrate my money on squeezing some more power out (student budget).

I have a freind who's gone through 3 trannies already this summer on his l28et 240z running 15psi with a t3/t4.

Also, i assume the t5 is a different length and require a new driveshaft also?

Lastly, what are some of the better clutches out there. My car is a 2+2, and when looking for clutches, it shows different models for coupe, 2+2, and turbos.

Sorry if this post seems a little all over the place, just a little torn as to what route to take. It would be nice to keep the 5 speed, but with it already grinding, I think it would be much worse with a good chunk more torque being spun through it. T5 doesn't sound like it would really be worth it, especially if i would need a new driveshaft made