HybridZ

Using Camaro fuel tank ... evap emmissions?

heavy85

I've mounted up the Camaro tank and am starting the pluming but am wondering what to do with the evap emissions charcoal canister & associated stuff. If I understand it reads tank pressure and if it's above some level then it purges into the throttle body to burn off the vapors. I wasn't even planning to hook up the pressure sensor and I can't seem to find this cannister unless it's built into the top of the tank? So is anyone using the stock Camaro stuff or if not how do you handle the pressure / vacuum that forms in the tanks as the air heats and cools and therefore expands or contracts?

Thanks

Cameron

When I first mounted my Camaro tank I blocked off the evap canister connection point, then I found the tank would build pressure while filling.

So I reconnected the evap canister, left the pressure sensor disconnected and just vent the canister to the atmosphere. Not the best setup but it works. If you can it would be better to connect a vacuum line to the canister to it can be purged.

As for where it is, mine was mounted to the top front of the tank as it would be mounted in a Camaro so it ends up at the back in a Z.

Wheelman

If you can it would be better to connect a vacuum line to the canister to it can be purged.

As for where it is, mine was mounted to the top front of the tank as it would be mounted in a Camaro so it ends up at the back in a Z.

Wheelman

But there is no vacuum line attached anywhere near the gas tank? There is the fuel supply and return but that's it? Where do the vacuum lines route from - I assume ends up at the throttle body but through where? There are a bunch of lines contained on the tank but they dont leave the tank towards the engine at all?

Thanks

Cameron

It's been a while since I installed mine so I might not be totally accurate here but there should be 3 connections on fuel pump basket. The largest is the fuel feed, the center one was connected to the vent on the top of the tank and the remaining one is the return connection. The evap canister had at least one hose connected that was a vacuum line which if you wanted to connect it would run to the intake manifold or throttle body in the engine bay.

Here is a link to a picture of an LS1 tank with the evap canister.

3411_p30167.jpeg

The small line hanging from the evap canister is the one that would connect to the vacuum line. I just let it vent to atmosphere.

Wheelman

The small line hanging from the evap canister is the one that would connect to the vacuum line. I just let it vent to atmosphere.

Wheelman

Got it - thanks. I have that line hooked up to what I thought was the return off the fuel rail but upon closer inspection it actually goes into a valve that goes into the throttle body. Now I wonder if I need to hook up the tank pressure sensor so that it actually purges when it needs to?

By any chance does anyone know if the corvette filter regulator will work with the Camaro tank? I'm wondering if there is really a pressure regulator in there or is it just a filter that also has an internal tee to feed signal back to the regulator in the tank? My donor '02 Z28 has(d) a single in and out on the filter, out of the filter there is a tee that sends some back to the tank (I'm assuming they wanted filtered fuel to the regulator is why GM did this?) and the rest goes on to feed the engine. The Vette filter would help eliminate this external tee and clean things up but is it compatible with the unmodified stock f-body in-tank regulator? In other words can you just use the vette filter/regulator without modifying the tank/regulator/anything and get rid of the external tee?

Thanks

Cameron