HybridZ

280ZX frt calipers

The mounting brackets are those "rare" Maxima bolt on types. I don't have the part number at this time, but it seems even Nissan has a hard time getting them any more. You could make your own too if you are so inclined. Yes, the rotors are the front Maxima rotors (same exact size as the front '84 300zx rotors). This set up works too well, unless you have monster brakes up front. To help the problem I installed an aftermarket proportioning valve, and then eventually swapped out the 280ZX front caliper for an '82 Toyota Cressida front caliper. The piston is 1/8" smaller diameter, and it has the same offset and bolt pattern as the ZX caliper, so it was a simple swap. This helped reduce the rear clamping force, but even with the 12" front rotors (bigger front brakes), the proportioning valve is still needed to reduce rear pressure. This set-up worked best when I had 2" wider tires on the back when it was being raced.

Thanks,

I will be going with a LARGER frt set up, I already have brake pro valve installed with my set up now! So I will probly try it, if it doesn`t work well with something bigger up frt, I`ll do something different!

And Terry I must say, your web site, the work you have done to your car...WOW!!!

I used the rear Maxima mounting brackets. The bolt pattern on these brackets did not fit the 280ZX (or Cressida) calipers, so I just drilled a new bolt pattern to match the calipers. The Maxima front calipers have a wider pattern than the ZX calipers, but the piston diameter and pad where equal or identical compared to the ZX calipers. So there was no advantage to the Maxima calipers (I think they even weigh a bit more than the ZX calipers did).