HybridZ

Clutch Cover bolts to flywheel

24OZ

Guys,

This may be a dumb ass question but wanted to double check.

I seem to recall reading a post, it was either here or somewhere else on the web, regarding the bolts on the clutch cover. (cant find it now)

If I recall correctly, someone mentioned that you should not use lock washers or any other washer on the bolts when securing the clutch cover to the flywheel. Something about the bolt needing to take the full pressure of the load.

I just wanted to double check this with you all.

Thanks.

Thanks for your input.

I wonder if anyone knows if the stock set up would have used them or not? I have looked at a drawing from a workshop manual and it appears no washers were present, but of course that could be because the illustrator omitted it.

If you buy a set of ARP bolts for say a SBC they come with flat washers.

Thanks for that, I think that explains it.

I actually found the quote which had me thinking, it was from a post on zcar.com and it was addressing someone's concern due to their stock clutch cover bolts bottoming out on the Fidanza flywheel.

The guy was going to add washers in an attempt to stop the bolt bottoming out and someone advised against it.... (quoted below)

/

/

DO NOT use washers there, use shorter bolts. If you use washers, the entire power generated by the motor is exerting shear pressure on those bolts; if the plate is tight to the flywheel, then frictiion between the plate and flywheel takes that shear load also. If those bolts shear at high rpm's, you can lose your feet. NO KIDDING....WEBBEZED is driving a time bomb if he jury rigged his clutch that way.

I think there might be a slight bit of confusion here. The pressure plate IS tight against the flywheel,the washer was not installed between the two. The small thin washer was added to the under side of the pressure plate bolts in addition to the stock lock washers. There are also locating pins that help line up the assembly & also share some load. The action I took stemmed from the problem I ran into of no dis-engagement of the clutch after installing an aluminum flywheel. The bolts bottomed out before the pressure plate and flywheel could be drawn up tight. It only took about a 32nd of an inch to do the job. It's been doing fine since June of 06 and I am running right at 150w.h.p. thru it.

I think there might be a slight bit of confusion here. The pressure plate IS tight against the flywheel,the washer was not installed between the two. The small thin washer was added to the under side of the pressure plate bolts in addition to the stock lock washers. There are also locating pins that help line up the assembly & also share some load. The action I took stemmed from the problem I ran into of no dis-engagement of the clutch after installing an aluminum flywheel. The bolts bottomed out before the pressure plate and flywheel could be drawn up tight. It only took about a 32nd of an inch to do the job. It's been doing fine since June of 06 and I am running right at 150w.h.p. thru it.

Now I understand. The advice you were given was to not fit a lock washer and a washer but just shorter bolts and a lock washer. I am going to buy some grade 8.8 shorter bolts. Thanks.