HybridZ

In dire need for help

I am in desparate need for a steering knuckle u-joint. The u-joint that attaches the pinch clamp trunnion to the steering shaft and slides onto the rack and pinion output shaft failed on me. If anyone knows where to obtain aftermarket replacements please help me out. I don't want to go to a junk yard and pull another shaft because that won't make things better by using another 25+ year old shaft. I can't drive my Z until I replace it. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

I bought a used shaft from MSA (http://www.zcarparts.com) some years ago.

I know you said you don't want used but the one MSA sent me was in very good shape. I am sure they will not sell you one that is ready for the scrap heap.

One option I had thought of was cutting the bottom part off the u joint to get the piece that bolts onto the steering rack pinion (correct word?), welding on a short piece of a straight shaft then connecting that to a U joint out of anything I could find in the junk yard. I don't think small U joints are that hard to find. It is just difficult to find shafts that bolt to the stock Datsun rack.

Piece of cake.

I had to ADD another knuckle on my steering system to go around my turbo.

I ordered one from the local pro street shop.. no prob on finding one that fits.. Mine is welded onto the shaft at one end, and is attached using 3 split pins along the shaft, as well as a couple of tack welds.. (so I can get it appart if needed)

Just bring your old one with you for sizing..