HybridZ

Prepping Chrome For Paint. How To?

TONY C

OK. so I ordered some new wheels. got them from AERO racing off there overstock sheet. very nice price. 4 @ 15x10 = $260 shipped.

I want to paint the centers to match the accent color on my car, but I need to know the best way to prep the chrome so the paint does not flake off.

I know that sand blasting will probably work but was wondering if there is something better or easier to go about this.

so, what do you think?

better yet. What do you know works?

thanks in advance on your input.

that is what I was thinking too. I would take a chance of messing up the rest of the rim.

So I called a couple chrome platers today. They all said the same thing. Just scotch brite or wet sand the part to be painted and paint. No need to remove the chrome.

After I do this I will post some pics and let you all know how it turns out.

tony

I did paint and body work for 25 years. I painted a lot of chrome bumpers and such, doing custom work. I paint over chrome with no problems with the paint chipping off or otherwise. But I would do a few things to make sure it (the paint) would stick well. First, I'd really give it a good scuffing, not with a scotch-brite either, usually a DA sander with 80 grit on it. Then I'd prime that with some high quality primer surfacer to get rid of the 80 grit scratches. Sometimes I used an adhesion additive first. I don't remember the exact brand but they probably have different stuff now anyhow. Ask your automotive paint jobber.

Also, some painter types hang out in the paint forum here at hybridZ and might offer some more useful advise.