HybridZ

Getting rid of those side mirrors

jvanen

With my Z I"m shooting for more of a BLVD cruiser.

So I've been thinking about removing my side mirrors all together and replacing them with camera's and LCD screens. Has anyone looked into this? I have found the back up type systems out there. I also can't find if its leagal to do this either. I know you are required to have 2 mirrors on a vehicle. Nothing about "subsittute" systems though. Personally I like the stream lined look on my Z and I'd probably be mounting the camera's so they'd look safely out the top corners of my back hatch. I'd appreciate feedback.

• 3 weeks later...

I think this would be a cool project, but not on a Z car. I personally would be more impressed with mirrors installed out on the fenders JDM/Wangan midnight-style. I don't think that that sort of tech touch would fit in with the Z atmosphere.

If you do decide to go ahead with it, it might be a little pricey - High contrast LCDs with brightness sufficient to be used in bright sunlight are going to be expensive, and there is the problem of where to mount them. (small A-pillars=no room?)

You also have to consider where to mount the cameras, which will be expensive for your requirements. (Glare filters, good resolution, good color sensitivity, fast framerate, etc.)

Not trying to discourage your ideas, just trying to offer some perspective. If you decide to go ahead with the project, keep us updated.

Cheers!