HybridZ

Moved from Motorsports Events - more model specific

hi, im new to the forum and slightly new to cars and racing as well being as i am only 18. but im trying to line up a 260z project car with a 82 l28et engine and tranny dropped into it. my plans are to drift the car since it is a very light body with good weight distribution and decent stock horsepower with upgrade potential. i was wondering what you guys thought about the project and if there were any snags i may run into with the swap. also any thoughts on drifting the car. thanks alot for any help.

Well, first of all, you're planning on drifting a 30 y/o chassis, drifting is greatly affected by chassis stiffness, the Z was not a very stiff chassis to start with and 30 years of abuse didn't make things any better, so plan on doing a lot of work in that area...

Also, as you're only 18 (which doesn't give you much experience behind the wheel, race or street) and new to racing and driving, the Z might not be the best car to start with.

Here's why, PLAN ON CRASHING THE CAR OFTEN.

And trying to fix a 30 year old chassis might not be easy, just try and find parts on a quick turn around...

The best car to start with (I know it'll be just like everyone else) is the S13

If you crash the thing and it's beyond fixing, you can just buy one with the usual frame rail rust problem for $500 make a quick fix, (Don't need to be that perfect, just solid, YOU WILL crash the car AGAIN) put your mechanical in it and keep going.

You will learn way quicker this way than if your season is over every time you kiss the wall and have to wait for next year to start over...

My $0.02.