HybridZ

EGT and Turbo's - Post your EGT numbers!

Nigel

I have an SDS EM3-6F, and I'm more or less following ScottieGNZ's recomendations for timing from way back when... So, I'm starting with a base timing of 20 deg at idle and ramping up to 38 deg by 2750 rpm. Scottie suggested pulling out a deg of timing for every pound of boost. I'm a little more aggressive at low boost and slightly more conservative at high boost. But like I said in my first post, at 12 pounds I'm at 25 deg total advance. I could bump it up more, but then which is worse, high EGT's or increased risk of detonation?

Does no one else have an EGT gauge in their Z? Maybe these numbers are typical? I'm not doing anything out of the ordinary compared with the dozens of other L28 turbo's out there...

Nigel

After the torque peak, it's usually okay to ramp timing back in up to redline, something like this:

HPPlot3.jpg

Start off by ramping in a small amount, say increase a total of 2 or 3 degrees linearly from torque peak to redline.

Also, you never mentioned what CR you are running (or at least I don't recall). I'm running 7.5:1 and still have more than 25degrees at 26 psi, once the revs get above 5500. My engine is probably a bit of a "special case", but you might be able to live with more timing. Cautiously, of course. :mrgreen: