HybridZ

Little bit of help for the noob!

Guest jays64II

For those who want to do something a lil' more hi tech and with the added comfort of fuel injection and a good OD trans the LT1 and 4L60E is a great choice. The LT1 responds well to head and cam swaps that are similar to the older style sbc and the 4L60E trans is better than the old 700r4.

How about this for a swap....a late model 3.8 GM motor and add a turbo ? I've seen the GN swaps but the new style 3.8's have a better head design than the old 80's GN type 3.8's.

Honestly I have never done an engine swap. Ive lifted stuff, bagged stuff, bought something to learn bodywork, built a stroker motor for my jeep, but the one thing i haven't done is an engine swap.

I honestly don't see what would be too too hard about doing a LT1 swap. What exactly are you getting modified on the harness when you send it out? Besides that, what else would you have to do electrical wise if you had an engine with a full wiring harness?

• Administrators
For those who want to do something a lil' more hi tech and with the added comfort of fuel injection and a good OD trans the LT1 and 4L60E is a great choice. The LT1 responds well to head and cam swaps that are similar to the older style sbc and the 4L60E trans is better than the old 700r4.

How about this for a swap....a late model 3.8 GM motor and add a turbo ? I've seen the GN swaps but the new style 3.8's have a better head design than the old 80's GN type 3.8's.

Again, I think your input here is steering this thread away from the scope the originator, (Slammed68 in this case), is trying to accomplish here. He is asking questions for his project, not asking about options for someone else’s project. If you read what Slammed68 has been telling us all along, he wants to perform an LT1 V-8 conversion into his Z car, not an engine building, altering, or modification project. The information you are posting here is great info and is of value to those it applies to, but not this thread or Slammed68’s project which is what this thread is all about.

Just for example, the GM 3.8 V6 and adding a turbo, performing head and cam swaps with an LT-1, etc, is adding complexity that Slammed68 doesn’t seem interested in. Back in post #19, he reiterated that he has set his mind on an LT1 conversion and just wants to know what it takes to install one into his car, not modify it or change it!

This sort of posting is in violation of the HybridZ rules and guidelines, #6

This is the last time I will ask to please keep your posts ON topic and within the scope of the thread you are posting in.

Rules and guidlines

Paul

• Administrators
but the one thing i haven't done is an engine swap.

First time for everything :wink:

Do you have in your possession the JTR book? Its entirely relevant to the majority of the info that you seek. Mechanically, its nearly identical to a carb'd swap... and where its not, is obvious.

I honestly don't see what would be too too hard about doing a LT1 swap. What exactly are you getting modified on the harness when you send it out? Besides that, what else would you have to do electrical wise if you had an engine with a full wiring harness?

When I converted mine, I didn't have the funds to buy or pay someone to modify the harness. I weeded through it wire-by-wire with the service manual. Its not difficult, just time consuming. The upside is that you'll know the system (and your car) very well indeed. If you have spare funds but time is a factor, I'd recommend an aftermarket harness such as Painless Wiring. If you have funds & time, I'd recommend a standalone system. Keep in mind that a standalone will likely consume more time than the V8 conversion itself.

Guest jays64II

didn't think i was steering anything anywhere. just giving additional info to the nature of his swap and alternatives that may have not been thought of. think of it as looking over every possible option and then choosing the one that bests suits. seen people do swaps and then later said "wish had done it another way" just trying to help with added info....loosen up a lil' guys. i moderate on other boards too and have never seen one so "tunnel visioned"

Does anyone have a JTR book that they wanna sell to me? :P I don't feel like spending 35 bucks on a book haha..

Trying to do all this at 18, while just getting my career started, is kind of hard, especially with low, sometimes no funds. I manage to make things happen though.

Don't get me wrong though, I am going to do this, I just would like to know half of the stuff im going to run into, instead of the usual nothing :P

You guys have been really helpful though, and i appreciate that. If anyone has the JTR book that they want to get rid of though, just shoot me a PM and I will gladly give someone some $$ :P

Guest jays64II
Perhaps you're confusing 'tunnel vision' with structure.

no confusion here. i think you guys just like over control things too much. loosen up a bit and have some fun ! the car hobby is supposed to full of new ideas and it's supposed to be fun. heck....if nobody thought outside the box or said "what if we try this...." the wright bothers never would have made flight and the NHRA and NASCAR would not be the technical , exhilarating , fun time that they are today.

if i just said "the LT1 and 4L60E is a good swap" and then later on the person had a problem with it and i then said "oh...well....you needed to do this to achieve that" that person's answer would probably be "then why didn't you tell me that back when?" then i'd feel bad about not sharing enough info.....see what i mean? information is like displacement....you can never have too much.

no confusion here. i think you guys just like over control things too much. loosen up a bit and have some fun !

My friend you are right on both counts and we are going to continue to do so. If you would like to stay on this island of ours I suggest you reread the whole thread word for word and think about what's been said to you. Otherwise you might think about going back to your other sites and do "your style of moderating".

LARRY