HybridZ

Exhaust Manifold???

82the280ZX

if you plan on doing it yourself, first you'll have to remove the intake manifold (and all things that will prevent the mani from coming off) by removint the top 6 bolts and the nuts from the remaining studs. then remove the rest of the bolts on the studs at the exhaust manifold. the fun part will be cutting the exhaust and welding on a new flange to bolt onto the header (unless you plan on welding straight to the pipe), since the header is going to be considerably longer than the stock exhaust manifold. plan long and expect it to take a weekend. so basically, if you don't know exactly what you're doing and don't have access to a welder, it will be much faster to get it done professionally.

i did this, (i have a welder) took me about 4 hours. make sure u get gasket first. while your in there, go ahead and clean out intake manifold. make sure all mating surfaces are clean. DO NOT i repeat DO NOT use gasket maker you will have a major intake leak and your car will barely (if at all) run and you will have to do it all over again.

• Administrators

After you get the upper intake bolts removed, you need to “loosen” (or remove), these 6 bolts under the manifold, then with some finagling and depending on how “attached/stuck” the manifold is to the gasket, it will come free. You will want to remove any heat shield that is attached to the underside of the intake manifold first. This applies to all L-6 engines and combinations whether it is a 240, 260 or 280 Z or ZX, carbureted, fuel injected, N/A or Turbo.

6-BoltsMedium.jpg

I did it twice within the past three weeks. I leave the intake manifold shield on there. Some shields might be in the way, mine isn't. It takes about 1/2 hour to remove the intake and exhaust manifold once you have done it a few times. Of course I know all my bolts are in good shape so I'm not fighting anything. Those bolts that BRAAP circled are pretty easy to get to even though you cant see them.

Use a 12mm long socket with three or four extensions, put a universal joint at the socket. Wrap the whole setup with tape to keep the u-joint rigid, and keep the stack from falling apart when you pull it back out. Loosen the 12mm bolts then remove the 14mm upper bolts and lift out the intake manifold. The rest is easy.