HybridZ

R180 LSD clutch source

Zmanco

I saw this thread:

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=123979

and began to wonder what options are available to those of us with a CLSD (Power Brute) in an R180? Mine is fine now, but I understand the clutches are wear items and I doubt they're sitting on the shelf at Autozone. Better to get started now I think.

Unlike say a Ford LSD which has clutch friction material on it, the clutches in our Nissan LSDs are all steel. You can shim them tight again when they wear. I've got a thread on the procedure, and 240hoke talks about it and has some pics in his adding clutches thread. It's pretty easy to do.

Jon, thanks for the answer, and that makes sense to me. But it leaves me with another question: why was there such interest in the thread I referenced in my original post about making new clutches for the R200? What's different from the R180 with regard to CLSDs? Why would one need new clutch plates for the R200 and not the R180 LSDs?

It's all part of the Hybridz motto "More is better!" :) Actually, it's about going from 2 (should have had 4, anyway) to 6 discs, which is an upgrade and for the price, you can go through a 20 yr old differential and know everything is good & tight. With a 4 disc unit, which you probably have if you bought an R180 LSD carrier, you probably aren't in quite a rush to buy discs for it. Anyway, it's just nice to have some serviceable parts around, just in case.

A little clarification, the 300ZX unit has 1 clutch disk per side. There are disks and plates, the plates transfer torque to the diff housing, the disks transfer it to the side gears and out to the wheels. So when you add the 4 disks from the group buy into the 300ZX unit, you go from one per side to 3 per side, or from 2 to 6 total. I believe all the 180 units are already 3 disks per side or 6 total.

The R180 LSDs never had the cheesy spacer in them that the 300ZX diff had, at least as far as I'm aware, so there is no need for adding clutches. The R180 did have another cheesy derivation though: there was a 2 pinion unit and a 4 pinion unit. The 2 pinion was pretty fragile. The 4 pinion units are very strong. If you bought in the group buy you got the 4 pinion unit.