HybridZ

Patch panel questions

PETEW

When you guys are welding in a patch panel do you recommend a butt weld or a lap weld. I have heard that it is harder to butt weld but lap welds only cause more rust problems down the road. Is this true? What are your experiences with both?

I was looking into buying some patch panels from Tabco, and I wanted to see if anyone has experience with them I need the panels for the Rear quarter lower front section. Other than rust there my cars body is solid.

If anyone can give me some tips it would be very helpful. I am also trying to make sure that Tabco is reputable. Thanks for all the help.

I replaced my front lower pieces a few years back and I butt welded them for the reasons you stated. Spend lotsa time getting a nice fit with even gaps all along the way. I'm sure you know you want to spread out the tacks jumping around on the patch to avoid heating/warping the panel. I used a 110v fluxcore mig to do mine. I painted the car black and you can't see any seams and there is very little fill in there. That's probably another benefit of not overlapping, you can tweak the seam with a hammer and dollie easier.

butt weld. Make sure your seams are tight, as even small gaps can make for an easy blow-through. As stated make sure you just get good tacks and skip around, as not to get too much heat in the pannel so it won't warp. Do a bunch skipping around, take a break to let it cool, then continue doing this untill you have a continous weld made up of tack welds.

I just ordered from Tabco monday and recieved the panels today (Wed), The prices are higher than what they have listed on thier webpage, but service is good.

I'd butt weld them like TravRMK & v8wannabe2 described , and get some of these clamps, It makes it alot easier keeps the panels aligned and keeps the gap needed. Got mine at Harbor Freight.

clamp.jpg

78zlt1 I was just looking at those at Harbor Freight yesterday. I just didn't get how they work. I am guessing there is a piece that is behind the panel? If so I don't think I could use it, since where I need to weld it will be enclosed then (In front of the rear wheel). Too bad about the cost, on the tabco parts, but what hasn't gone up. I was just worried about the quality.

Thanks for all the info guys. I'm gonna practice welding some scrap fenders now. ;)

The clamps work great but can be a pain sometimes you do need access to the back, there is a square pin that you insert thru a hole in the part that extends between the panels,

p3545cu.jpg

get out your magnetic pickup tool to fish the pins out when removing them or drill a hole and insert a sting in the pin.

Here is a pic of the tabco panels installed , the rockers and doglegs fit pretty well , but do need a little massaging here and there.

patch1.jpg