HybridZ

Well I was wrong, it wasnt the clutch

Booztd 3

It has been said that with an auto you can gain as much as a 10th per the number of shifts in the manual!!!!!!

That could be majorly dependant on whether or not you have no-lift-shift setup, and how big of a granny driver you are :)

I did a back to back test of the no-lift-shift compared to not using it. I picked up a whole half a second, because of the time it was taking the car to get back into boost between shifts

My biggest dilmenma right now is this

I'm going to do one major upgrade this winter, and I've whittled it down to two options

1. Built Motor

2. Auto Trans swap

With the built motor I'll be able to make my dreams come true with 900-1000rwhp, however, putting that number to the ground effectively, and at the track will be an entirely different story

Going to the Auto trans, I can maintain my power level (as long as the engine holds) at 650~rwhp, and still run low 10s/high 9's

The Pros/Cons of doing either. I drive the car ALOT, like alot more than most would drive their project car of this caliber. Work, Gym, it usually goes everywhere on nice days, but ultimately I love taking it to the track. Which do I enjoy most? Hard to say right now........Doing the auto would make it not near as fun to drive around, and create alot of excess heat in the cockpit. Keeping the 5spd would likely ensure lots of enduring evenings in the garage fixing broken transmissions:shock:

Well I do agree you will be faster with an auto tranny...but its up to you what you want...faster or more fun. From what it sounds like you drive it a lot and driving it around with an auto would be easier but not as fun in my opinion. Anything can always be made to be stronger you just have to be creative in doing it. If it were a full drag car I could see going auto, but since you drive it a lot why not stay manual? I would like the feeling of 1st-3rd maybe even 4th ;) burnout while doing the shifting.

Well I do agree you will be faster with an auto tranny...but its up to you what you want...faster or more fun. From what it sounds like you drive it a lot and driving it around with an auto would be easier but not as fun in my opinion. Anything can always be made to be stronger you just have to be creative in doing it. If it were a full drag car I could see going auto, but since you drive it a lot why not stay manual? I would like the feeling of 1st-3rd maybe even 4th ;) burnout while doing the shifting.

yes, me too, but I've also paid thousands of dollars to make this car track legal when I go, and I'd feel it was a waste to have the car setup, and never go for fear of breaking something in the drivetrain with all that HP

• 2 months later...
The 90-96 Q45 (R200) features the same 6-bolt 30-spline axles, hubs, and output shafts used in the 90-96 Nissan 300ZX TT (R230).

Hey guys, sorry to appear as a noob and then revive and just start posting in your thread however

I am curious about the q45 output shafts.

Is it only the 1990-1996 q45 that uses the 30 spline? This is why I ask...

I have an 88 z31 turbo LSD on my car ok... My plan...

Take any year (depending on answers provided) Q45 diff (or just the carrier) put it in/on my car. Take the 5 bolt output shafts AND half shafts from the 1998 q45 (unless these are not 30 spline) and hybrid the half shafts. Mate the half shafts to the z31 turbo 4 bolt axle stub.

Now, here is why...

I have the Modern Motorsports 31 spline axle stub conversion kit for my z31. If I can hybrid some stuff and mate the q45 output shafts and half shafts to my Modern Motorsport axle stubs, I should have a potent rear end.

Oh, and just so you guys know, It doesn't make any sense that the 30 spline output shaft would be just as weak as the smaller R200 output shaft.

If you are curious about what the hell I am talking about on the hybriding half shafts and crap like that, look here. http://www.z31performance.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6294