HybridZ

Tach problem with 280zx distributor swap

YellowFever

I'm having a tachometer problem after swapping my '76 280z distributor (dual pickup electronic distributor) with an early 280zx NA distributor. I followed the instructions @ AtlanticZ http://www.atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/distributor/index.html

The car starts and runs... but the tach only works while the key is in the start position. As soon as the key is released (to return to the run position) the tach quits. All of the other gauges continue to function normally.

Any ideas what might be causing this problem?

The plot thickens...

I just went for a ride in the car. It runs great, and the tach kinda works. At idle the tach is dead but it springs to life once the RPMs have reached 2,000 or so. The tach will function normally as long as the RPMs remain high... as soon as the revs drop below 2,000 the tach quits working again.

Weird, huh? Could this be caused by a bad ignition module on the brand new distributor that I installed? The entire distributor (including ignition module) was only $105 from AutoZone.