HybridZ

Brake cap rubber seal disolved

Guest bluex_v1

Guest bluex_v1

Ok, got the brake caps off, and the thing that was tripping me up was that the rubber seal fused the cap to the resevoir...the little metal disks that are attached to the nipple thing were sitting in there loose...I'm guessing the brown/black sludge in the bottom of the resevoir is what's left of the rubber. -my service manual doesn't even talk about it, so now my question is, do these disks and seals serve a critical purpose? Can I get by with just removing the disk and clamping the cap back on?

are you talking about the rubber seals on the underside of the caps being the disks? if so, you should find something rubber and make a new seal and clamp the caps back on. if you dont, brake fluid will spill out of the cap when you make turns since it is not sealed all the way.

Guest bluex_v1

Well, sort of...the rubber seals under the caps come down in the center and form a nipple that has a metal disk attached to it. This metal disk is suspended just inside the filter cup in the resevoir...I guess it is just there to keep fluid from splashing up onto the main part of the rubber. Anyway, it is definately in my 260 service manual..a diagram of it, just no description.

--but I guess I won't worry about it based on your suggestion. The bare metal top of the cap snapped back onto the resevoir pretty securely.

If something dissolved the rubber in your brake reservoir you have to ask why.

A friend of mine once put the wrong type of brake fluid in is Chevy V8 Jaguar. Caused all of the rubber in his braking system to dissolve.

If I were you I would unbolt the brake reservoir to drain and clean it. That way you minimize the amount of crap you get in the rest of your system. I would then closely inspect all the brake lines and caliper/wheel cylinder seals. Replacing those as needed, I would then cycle a can or two of clean brake fluid through each wheel. Don’t take chances on your brakes!!