HybridZ

Difficulty of turbo swap in 77 Z.

Hrududu

Hello again everyone. Over the last few months I've been doing my share of reading on turbo swaps into the S30 and I think its something I want to do. I've been reading through tons of threads here and other places online and just about all my technical questions have been answered I think. I just really need to know how difficult doing this motor swap is going to be. My mechanical knowlege under the hood isn't very extensive. I have replaced the headgasket and timing chain on my 77 280 and done other little things, but never have I taken on something as huge as a motor swap. What I am most scared of is electrical. Is there a lot of rewiring that needs to take place behind the dash for the guages and whathot? I just don't want to find myself in over my head here. The guys at classiczcars.com helped me a lot through my headgasket change, so online help works for me. When all is said and done, I would like to have my car running 225-250hp with maybe a little room to grow in the future. My budget is EXTREMEMLY tight, so I'd be using as much from the donor car as possible. The donor car is an 82 280ZXT that was parked in running condition a few years ago and is still complete. I believe I can get everything I need for around $250-$300. My questions in a nutshell are: With my past knowlege, is this engine swap going to be extrememly harder than a head gasket change? How much of the interior is going to need rewired, and about how much is a ballpark cost for swapping a stock 280ZXT motor into a 77 280Z.

Go for it!

I just swapped a 83 280zxt l28/T5 into my 260 and that is my first swap. I ended up spending 150 on a cheap hoist/leveler but other then that, you should be able to use most everything from the donor. You will need to have the drive shaft shortened if you are staying with the T5 trans. Also, the trans mount will need to be fabed up if you're using the T5.

I ended up going with megasquirt just to avoid old wires and old injection. But many people have done this swap with the stock donor harness.

It took me about a solid week of work between pulling out the old engine, pulling out the donor and putting the donor in. I did this over the course of a month or so in my driveway with the police complaining about twice a week, but it can be done without problems.

Sorry for the typos and the run-ons but i am beat. feel free to PM me with some specific questions.

Shane