HybridZ

Spacers needed for 280ZX rotor swap?

Guest Pegasus76

Guest Pegasus76

I have a 280Z and my Rotor came off :( So I was wondering if the 280ZX rotors worked better and if they did, would I need any spacers for it? Or would it be a simple install and no extra mods required?

Originally posted by Pegasus:

I have a 280Z and my Rotor came off :( So I was wondering if the 280ZX rotors worked better and if they did, would I need any spacers for it? Or would it be a simple install and no extra mods required?

The 280ZX rotors might bolt up, but they won't work with the stock calipers because the ZX rotors were vented and Z rotors were not. If you're looking to upgrade your brakes, you might consider the 280ZX calipers with 80's 300ZX rotors. The 4-lug rotors will bolt up to your hub. They do require a little bit of machining of the outer edge of the rotors because the diameter is slightly too big. Take a look at Terry Oxandale's (blueovalz) writeup at http://www.zhome.com/rnt/FordPower/BrakeUpdate.html .

Gene

See above. 10" diameter 280zx rotor and 10.8" diameter stock Z rotor. With the 240-260-280 mounting point of the ZX caliper it would hardly cover 2/3 of the pad surface area AND the smaller diameter would reduce the amount of leverage the caliper could put on the rotor. The 300zx rotor is 11" so you can slightly reduce the OD and use the stock mounting "ears" on the Z series struts after drilling the threads out.