HybridZ

Need an Experts opinion on engines choices!

drwharton85

I have a 73 240z and i am wanting to turn it into a race/show car. I am stuck on three different engines that i know all have their own advantages but i just cant bring my self to choosing just one. Maybe you guys can push me in the right direction, the choices are RB26det-VQ35dett-or SR20det. What i am looking for is weight distribution,handling,performance. I would like to drift and circuit race with this car and it must turn heads every where it goes. Lets just say money is not an object, what do you guys think? "THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP"

vq35 is lighter and can sit back further in the engine bay than an RB engine can, and it makes almost the same power output as a stock RB, but it's naturally aspirated.

I would go VQ35 if money was not an object. And I would probably make it N/A. But it seems as though the drift/power-over craze is going with as much power as possible, and for that you'll probably want to supercharge your VQ

Here's how to decide:

Since money is not a problem, you can make all these three engines to make enough power and win those races. Sooo....

1. Close your eyes.

2. Imagine you won the race, so now you go get off your car and everyone wants to see under your hood.

3. Open your hood.

4. Repeat these steps for each engine.

Choose the engine that gives you goose bumps. If more than one does this, choose the one that gives you the most. If none of them does that, you need to read about them and research them a lot more!

J Taylor... I live in California and I'm almost getting airplane tickets to fly there already if the offer is for me too! :lol:

I recommended that approach because it is what I used to choose the RB. I imagined myself winning with a bad ass V8 against a McLaren F1 and it was cool. Then I imagined myself loosing with an RB26 and it gave me goose bumps and a big smile and cheevers. So that's when the choice was clear... my 280z will have an RB!

J Taylor... I live in California and I'm almost getting airplane tickets to fly there already if the offer is for me too! :lol:

I recommended that approach because it is what I used to choose the RB. I imagined myself winning with a bad ass V8 against a McLaren F1 and it was cool. Then I imagined myself loosing with an RB26 and it gave me goose bumps and a big smile and cheevers. So that's when the choice was clear... my 280z will have an RB!

so you took the more realistic route, i presume? :-D

so you took the more realistic route, i presume? :-D

Hahaha... the point was that even if I was to loose I felt better about having an RB in my car than winning with a V8. But I know I can make my RB faster than a V8!

And realistic or not... well... in a year or two if I find a McLaren to race me I'll let you know what happens. :wink: