HybridZ

Sandblasting Rims

Guest kc280zx

Guest kc280zx

i was wondering if sandblasting the rims would work to clean them up? Looks like whatever the wheels were originally coated with is wearing off and i've got a SB available to clean them up. also after i do it, should a coat the wheels with a sealer??

Guest greimann

You might want to try stripping the clearcoat and paint with Aircraft Remover paint stripper first. After that you could polish and clearcoat, or do what I did and acid etch them with Eagle One Etching Mag wheel cleaner for a nice satin finish. Look at my home page for pix. The wheels below are fakes.

Guest kc280zx

alright i went to the 24 hrs auto zone and picked the Aircraft Remover and Eagle One Mag Cleaner. Now my question is will the stripper cause any harm to the brake assemblies? or can i leave the wheels on? If you would write out the process for it would be great.

Guest greimann

When using Aircraft Remover, you must keep it off of your tires. It will eat the rubber. The best way without dismounting the tires is to lay them down flat and carefully apply the stripper with a brush. Let it work for about 15 to 20 minutes and then blast it with water. You may need to do this a couple of times to get all the clear coat off. Then take the Eagle One Etching Mag Wheel cleaner and spray it on the wheel. You can use a fine scotch brite pad to work on deep corrosion. Apply the Eagle one several times to get an even satin tone. If you want, you could clear coat ot just leave raw and use the Eagle One everytime you wash.

Also, use rubber gloves during this whole process or your hands will have no skin left on them when you are done! flamedevil.gif

Aircraft stripper didn't work well for me, when I tried to strip a set of iron cross wheels from a 280. I don't know why, but it left small patches of paint on the wheels that refused to come off, even after 4 thick applications. Perhaps you will have better luck than I did.

I ended up sandblasting the last of the paint off the wheels and was quite pleased with how they looked, so I left them in the raw finish. I just used aluminum wheel cleaner (sometimes as referred to as an acidizing cleaner) on them four or five times a year to maintain the finish.

The only negative thing about blasting the wheels was the incredible mess that it caused! Sure wish I had a sandblasting cabinet for that one...

Guest kc280zx

Well i started on one wheel today and WOW that stuff works good. I had to apply it twice but it came out clean except for in one part, but i'll get it tomorrow. Ne ways then i put the mag etch on there and it gives it a nice look. but i decided to take a Brillo pad to it to help it shine but i dont know that it really makes a big difference. so ill keep on workin on it.

Greimann, i was wondering how u did ur bumpers. They look really good, i like the all balck look and have been considering making mine all black and the bumpers are a nice touch.

RPMS i was wondering if u have a pic of ur wheels or if not im located in Arlington and if u wanna email me maybe we could hook up somewhere so i can get a look at them, cuz i think the sandblasting would be a hell of alot easier. kc280zx@aol.com

tahnks

Originally posted by kc280zx:

I decided to take a Brillo pad to it to help it shine but i dont know that it really makes a big difference. so ill keep on workin on it.

It sounds like the stripper is working better for you than it did for me! It was probably just my bad technique that made it not work. If by "Brillo pad", you mean steel wool and not the brass stuff, I'll share a bit of advice someone gave me years ago. They told me that tiny bits of the steel wool can get stuck in the softer aluminum and will cause an electrochemical reaction over time, degrading your finish. I don't know if it's true or not, but it kinda makes sense.

RPMS i was wondering if u have a pic of ur wheels or if not im located in Arlington and if u wanna email me maybe we could hook up somewhere so i can get a look at them, cuz i think the sandblasting would be a hell of alot easier.
Sorry, but I sold that car 10 years ago, and I never got any pictures of the wheels. When clean, they were very light in color, almost white. I really liked the finish, especially against the black 240 they were mounted on.

If you need any help on your car, just give a holler. I'd like to get to know all the Z'ers in the area.

Guest kc280zx

u wont believe this but my neighbor came up to me today while i was workin on my wheels and went into his whole story of how he had a zx like mine. ne wayz at the end of the conversation he asked if it was for sell!!!!! told him ill sell ne thing if the price is right. well he offered me 2500 and i told him to gimme a couple of days and ill think about it. i dont want to but he would end up fixin it faster than me seein as he already has a completely resotred 57 chevy(drools)...