HybridZ

Pros and Cons of '94-97 LT1 + T56

LT1-280Z thanks for the beginnings, It does sound doable, Although your right sourcing the mechanical parts seems a challenge, wiring a proto board would take a while too. so $300 isn't looking all that bad. Beautiful car by the way!

Danno74Z

I thought I searched good about 6 months ago on T56 members using the VSS to run a mechanical like the CableX as well as the ECU or going with an AutoMeter electric speedo and dealing with the turn signals, high beam etc. and leaving the VSS to run the ECU and an electric speedo, it seemed at the time like a 2:1 ratio of elec VS mech. I don't remember any posts of members ditching their CableX or JTR MOD to go elec because of VSS issues.

I would like to hear more maybe my search back then didn't find any of these posts.

Any body running the Abbott CableX and having problems??

I have read plenty on Elec speedo mods and Tach swap and still might consider going that route as the cost is the same, it is just more work.

Thanks,

Greg

Greg,

Thanks for checking out my Z pics and kind words.

If you were to go with CableX or the JTR mod the VSS is retained so you would be totally fine. (run the CableX off the PCM not the sensor) Personally, I didn't want to machine my trans or deal with running a cable. I have seen other V8Z's with older 4 speeds with the cable melted by exhaust heat or just run with too tight a bend causing erratic needle movement. I didn’t even think about the turn signal, high beam and brake indicators, loosing those wouldn’t sit well with me. The concept for my Z project was the car should appear unmodified (there are subtle changes only a true Z enthusiast would catch), all systems should function as if they were still in their respective vehicles and the car should drive like it was factory made that way.

Good news for keeping the stock gauges is calibrating the Z tach is a no brainer.

Thinking about the speedo drive motor; it actually doesn’t need to have a tach you could go an alternate method of having some sort of rpm sensor in the system – WAIT I’ve got it! You could use the external VSS sensor from JTR to feed back the cable speed to the controller. With this you could use just about any R/C car/airplane/boat drive motor and with the higher torque of the R/C motors you could probably do a direct drive. This would make all the parts readily available, could be on to something here.

gvincent,

Like I mentioned a few threads back, I just remembered reading (a long time back) some members had problems with drivability not using the VSS. As Wheelman mentioned he had stalling problems. I can't say which the better way to go on this issue is. All 240, 260 and 280 models had a cable go from the transmission to the speedo. So if you go with a cable x box or a derivative the only thing you are adding is the x box and a few wires. Pretty simple solution and you keep everything stock appearing if that is your thing. I believe it cost about $300. You could try and put something together on your own but that all depends on time and skill etc. Some people as you know gut everything including the dash so running Autometer gauges is just part of their look. I personally like the modern look of the Autometer gauges and their accuracy far exceeds something that is 30+ years old but hard work is needed to make it all work.

Danno74Z