HybridZ

I love new tools

yeah! IM a mild tool freak!

I love to equip the shop with all the tools I can get access too!

and I love gaining new skills

the TIG may be slower but its the supperior process in my opinion, in fact TIG is REQUIRED and the ONLY method allowed on some critical suspension components in some racing formats, if I could only have two welders it would be a 250-350 amp TIG and the OXY-ACETOLENE torch.

I bought a USED (late 1980s)330 amp MILLER INDUSTRIAL TIG and Im still learning to use it correctly, It cost me approximately 1K but it works very well and a NEW similar capacity TIG would be over 6K.

Ive got several welders in the shop, each has its area of use where its supperior in some way to the others, but the OXY-ACETOLENE torch and the TIG will do 99% of all welding, the MIG welders fast and easy, but not as precise, (Im still getting used to useing it)the STICK welder has been in the shop for years, gets used alot when looks are not critical, but the mig could replace it.

I can,t imaging a decent tool list in a shop, without a couple welders, they get constant use, everything from fabricating parts to welding nuts on broken bolts to make removal possiable

I bought a USED (late 1980s)330 amp MILLER INDUSTRIAL TIG and Im still learning to use it correctly, It cost me approximately 1K but it works very well and a NEW similar capacity TIG would be over 6K.

Wow, it's great to find deals like that! I bought a used Lincoln Synergic Pulse MIG from a metal furniture manufacturer for $250. Also have a Lincoln 135-amp MIG so I can weld where 220v is unavailable.

Too bad I weld like crap! At this point, I think I need some personal instruction or a video. Having cool tools is great, but they're wothless and frustrating without skills!

"Anybody on this thread know where to seek instruction or recommend a course on how to build skills with a welder?"

well many colleges,and trade schools have adult night classes, you can take, and MILLER welding sells CDs with info and hints, but in most cases Id say take a class of find an experianced welding shop and offer the guy some cash for a quick instruction , but the truth is the best teacher will be to find an experianced welder whos a corvette / hotrod club member in a club near you and have him instruct you, then PRACTICE on scrap a good deal with your equipment, find some old bits of exhaust tubing an old fender a frame ETC and just see what works.

ask questions here

http://www.millermotorsports.com/mboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3

http://www.hobartwelders.com/weldtalk/

books

http://www.amazon.com/Welders-Handbook-RevisedHP1513-Cutting-Oxyacetylene/dp/1557885133/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-3486570-0918205?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1191511556&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Welding-Basics-Creative-Publishing-international/dp/1589231392/ref=pd_sim_b_shvl_img_1/103-3486570-0918205

http://www.amazon.com/Welders-Handbook-RevisedHP1513-Cutting-Oxyacetylene/dp/1557885133/ref=pd_sim_b_shvl_img_4/103-3486570-0918205

community college lol thats where i learned, got certified and i am still going.lol Mt Sac baby!!! i highly recommend going to your local community college because u can weld as much as u can and learn all the science about it and its cheap...plus the teachers will usually let you use any of the equipment for some personal projects u might have.Trust me once u learn one process of welding you want to learn the next, who know's next thing u know your taking your certification tests lol

crazy... i didn't even know they had that...kinda pricey for such little time....but maybe worth it mainly welding on the expensive stuff like titanium, i wonder how much titanium they would actually let you weld on...a couple of filler rods is like 100 bucks alone!!!! i remeber my professor had like one piece of ti and all the students had to weld at least two beads no individual pieces were really handed out till later, but then we all had to return the pieces lol i guess mainly because he got all the material with his own money, seeing as how the school budget sucked..and we wasted a ton of stainless practicing tig...hmmmm

anyone here go to the lincoln program?

The Motorsports School is 72 hours of instruction for $1,150! That's pretty cheap for a school that provides equipment, materials, etc. Plus I was able to stay a couple hours longer each day and practice on stainless, CroMo, aluminum, Inconel, and Ti. I TIG welded over 100 CroMo 1.5" OD tube fish mouthed joints on Day 1 of the second week. Just that welding alone was about 25' of CroMo tubing at $6 a foot.