HybridZ

It ran fine.. then BAM and confusion

midnightzxt

What are your spark settings?

My car has the HEI mounted on a heatsink.

My friend's 280z has it on a piece of 1/8 aluminum then mounted to the chassis. Neither of us have had problems with it overheating.

Good to see you back on the board! Your ZXT is still one of the best ones out there!

Mario

Thanks Mario :)

I have it mounted on that heat sink white glue looking stuff. I think my problem is more of where it is mounted. When I first installed the MS and was drinking more alcohol then I do today, I mounted the HEI on the stock tower RIGHT next to the turbo... and I lost my stock metal heat shield about 6 years ago.

BTW... does anyone have a spare heat shield I could buy?

Anyways, in what location is the best spot to locate the HEI where the engine bay produces the least amount of heat? I'm also going to ground it with 10-12 guage wire directly to negative battery ground.

If that doesn't work, then I'm going to look in to changing the spark system I'm using.

What are your spark settings?

Can you post a list of the settings you're looking for?

I'm talking about the general settings and the dwell settings, which should be under the spark settings drop down.

On all my installs (including my dad's fresh 280zT), I've put the HEI module near the coil and close to the headlight bucket. I don't think the buckets are completely sealed so I'm pretty sure there's some airflow there...

And aren't HEI modules originally cooled by the rotor in the distributor?

I think you really ought to move it.

Also I'll look for the heatshield as I'm pretty sure I have one in my turbo parts car.

Mario

I have had no problems with my VB921 coil driver. I originally had an HEI and I went through one of them just trying to start my engine. It just seems like the vb921 is less likely to overheat than the gm hei. Also, the install is a little more stealthy, since all the wires going to the coils stay stock.

I'm talking about the general settings and the dwell settings, which should be under the spark settings drop down.

Trigger angle is 60, no addition.

Time based, 10 cranking angle, 1 hold ignition, no invert, -10 fixed angle spark map is extremely similar to Moby's

Dwell control:

cranking 6.0, running 4.0, minimum discharge .5

Hmmmmm.... I thought you were suppose to use Fixed dwell and "minimum for HEI4".

I think his firmware is too old for that. Minimum for HEI4 is different, and makes the tach go crazy.

It should actually be non-inverted at a 75% fixed duty cycle. My doesn't even warm up with these settings.

Maybe upgrade the firmware? And definitely move the HEI module. The VB921 is from a newer MS version hardware (v3).

Mario

I think his firmware is too old for that. Minimum for HEI4 is different, and makes the tach go crazy.

It should actually be non-inverted at a 75% fixed duty cycle. My doesn't even warm up with these settings.

Maybe upgrade the firmware? And definitely move the HEI module. The VB921 is from a newer MS version hardware (v3).

Mario

I'm running the vb921 in my v2.2 board. it took a whole 20min to solder in. I just used the hole for the led i'm triggering off of as the mounting point for the vb921.

Mario

I upgraded the firmware about two days before the spark problem.. 29y4 or something like that. I'm going to work on moving the HEI, and maybe even throw in a cooling tube from the fender?