HybridZ

Retrofit A/C

dapiper

My OEM A/C R134a conversion on my '77 280Z just dun bload up. Any one tried a new rotary style compressor retrofit? Hate to replace compressor only to blow up again and would like to replace with more efficient one designed for R134a. I may need to design new bracket.

The Sanden SD5 series compressors work well with the stock 280Z AC. You can build a custom bracket or get the Motorsport Auto Kit for the 240Z - It will fit 280s. New hoses will be required, as the Sanden has O-ring fittings versus the stock flares.

I just picked up a new, semi-polished SD-5 for $175 on ebay.

i you try to put r134 oil into a system that had r12 the 2 different oils will form a sludge.there is a chemical solution you buy at auto parts stores that you need to pump through the rest of the system.the reciever dryer will need to be replaced.the inside of the system needs to be clean with no traces of old oil/metal.if there is any metal compressors will continue to blow.when i worked as a ford dealer tech we had a machine that pumped cleaning solvent through the system and had to replace the solvent and fl1a oil filter on every use-if this wasnt done ford wouldnt pay the warrenty claim.the system should be as clean as if it were assembled from new parts.