HybridZ

Cam / fuel system choices

Guest John Pulis

What cam would you use, would you mod the fuel system?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. What cam would you use, would you mod the fuel system?

• Bigger fuel rail?
    • Bigger fuel pump?
    • After market computer brain?
    • Turbo Injectors?
    • Origninal cam
    • Level one cam
    • level two cam

Guest John Pulis

This car has been a project for 27 years. I have replaced everything at least once. Some interior parts, three times. It lives in my garage and sees only sunny days.

I am down to building a custom engine and I could use some help selecting a cam and fuel system. I could use some advice and I have never used a forum before. Let me begin by telling you a little about the car and drive train:

She is a fair weather ride and sparkels from bumper to bumper. The drive train begins with an normally asperated engine, an over size KN filter, three inch air plumbing to a modified Turbo 3" airflow meter, (I have used a lot of turbo parts on this non turbo engine) 3" throddle body and turbo intake ported to the stock head. The exhaust supports a ceramic coated headder and an oversize exhaust.

The body is a coupe but has the 2 + 2 suspension, strutts and springs. The fly wheel is also the bigger turbo 2 + 2 flywheel and cluch, B Warner trans and Turbo drive shaft. It has a 89 300Z limited slip differential and 83 turbo rear trailing arms that support the larger brakes. Everything was bolt on except the rear trans mount. I had to modify the mount itself to match the cross member support. It was a trick weld, but it worked and I did not distroy the rubber in the process.

Through the years I have been accumulating the necessary parts to complete the engine build. I do not wish to distroy my drive train by over HP. I am lead to believe it will take quite a beating. With this in mind, my target is 300 HP with a Nissan straight 6 block..

I began with a turbo 280ZX 1983 block. I have a stoker diesel crank, 9mm connecting rods from a 240z and plan to bore to 89mm. That should give me 300cc. I am told it will take forged custom 89mm pistons to support the compression 9.8:1. To get the compression, I have a N42 head in the shop. It will get a 3 angle valve job as well as a port and polish.

Here is where I could use some help. I need to select a cam that will not be to uncomfortable on the street. I am also told, at high HP and RPM, I will need to enhance my fuel system to feed the monster. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for the support,

John

Oct 10, 2007 008_thumb.jpg

• Administrators
I could use some advice and I have never used a forum before.

Welcome John,

Sounds like you care for your Z! You will find the answer to every question in our archives. Its easy to access and will have you asking questions you have yet to think of.

This will help you get started... http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?p=813061#post813061